Cycling Advice

I just wanted to ask have you been to llandegla because I was thinking of going with a few mates. I've been to cannock chase many times and really enjoyed it.

Yes I've done most of the Welsh trail centres. Llandegla is great although i believe it is closed right now and you will get fined from the welsh plod if you try it.

Llandegla isn't the biggest and i think you pay to park now but that said its quick to get there and they maintain it very well. Its way better than Cannock chase IMO. Marin trail is my favourite (now called something else - the one just of llanwrst) just for being out there in the forest with a big loop. Its a bit less groomed than others so can get a bit hairy if your not used to 'real' rocky singletrack.

Best value for money aint got a lot to do with it if alu cracks or whether a tube is shaped to be sexy...marin presented riders with a bouncy fork or offered a steel triple butted rigid when they released their fire trail model...an alu lead fork may well have been lighter than a steel offering and possibly a bit more boxy but forgiving it wouldnt have been...alu cracks regular when used in bike components/frames..period.

Enjoy your steel components while you can. The industry has moved on and any decent bike now is a mix of alloy and carbon fiber. The more you pay the more of the latter. Re strength bikes are engineered to have a specific: strength / weight / flexibility in mind. If they brake then its because of bad design and the wrong mix - mostly aiming too light. You can make a steel bike too light or with poor welds and it will also break.

Yes I've done most of the Welsh trail centres. Llandegla is great although i believe it is closed right now and you will get fined from the welsh plod if you try it.

Llandegla isn't the biggest and i think you pay to park now but that said its quick to get there and they maintain it very well. Its way better than Cannock chase IMO. Marin trail is my favourite (now called something else - the one just of llanwrst) just for being out there in the forest with a big loop. Its a bit less groomed than others so can get a bit hairy if your not used to 'real' rocky singletrack.
Cheers for the info I'm going to give it a go then and hopefully it's not hammered with people like it is everywhere now!

Enjoy your steel components while you can. The industry has moved on and any decent bike now is a mix of alloy and carbon fiber. The more you pay the more of the latter. Re strength bikes are engineered to have a specific: strength / weight / flexibility in mind. If they brake then its because of bad design and the wrong mix - mostly aiming too light. You can make a steel bike too light or with poor welds and it will also break.

My apologies fella my earlier reply got a bit messed-up...
Carbon rods have been around angling circles for the same amount of time...me pals on his third, his pals on his second and tales of 6lb perch snapping 60lb breaking strain state of tbe art carbon abound.
https://reviews.mtbr.com/when-should-you-replace-your-carbon-handlebar

Done 54 miles this morning, again I thankfully avoided the rain!! Average moving speed of 16.3 today which is good for me, want to get it up to 17.5 before my next Tri but god knows when that’ll be!!
That is really good going.

I'm lucky if I can maintain 15mph average over 10 miles at the moment.

I’ll do the occasional session on my bike when my Achilles stops me running and I just use my bog standard Halfords mountain bike that I bought to potter round with the kids on when they were little. Dead heavy, gears don’t seem great etc. Often toyed with the idea of forking out for something more sophisticated but wouldn’t use it enough to justify the cost. Also am I daft to think that the worse the bike is the harder you have to work and so counter intuitively fitness wise it’s beneficial to have a crap bike ?

Llandegla is decent enough. I quite enjoyed the Northface trail up in Grizedale when i did it a few years ago. That Gwydir one has been on my radar for a bit but haven't had a chance since my brother fucked off to live in Dubai :@

Llandegla is decent enough. I quite enjoyed the Northface trail up in Grizedale when i did it a few years ago. That Gwydir one has been on my radar for a bit but haven't had a chance since my brother fucked off to live in Dubai :@

I did the Northface trail but got lost trying to make my way back to the B&B off road. Was a long day out and I haven't fancied going back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.