Glyn Pardoes funeral today ... Monday 15th June

Toomy Booth told us an interesting tale about the day that he recommended Skip to Joe Mercer.Joe replied that he didn`t want a 33 year old signing for City.Big Malc retorted "he`s only 29 not 33".Joe didn`t believe him so Big Malc produced a Birth Certificate of Skip showing he was indeed only 29.
Joe signed him based on that but it was a few years later it appeared that Big Malc had a doctored version of this said Birth Certificate.This afternoon looking at Skip he did look like someone not far short of his 90th but he`ll still be a true City Legend whatever age he lives to.
In the dream dressing room painting of a few years ago Mal stood with Pep Joe and Roberto is telling them the story of the birth certificate, showing it to them all giggling Lovely story
RIP Glyn a true City legend

Toomy Booth told us an interesting tale about the day that he recommended Skip to Joe Mercer.Joe replied that he didn`t want a 33 year old signing for City.Big Malc retorted "he`s only 29 not 33".Joe didn`t believe him so Big Malc produced a Birth Certificate of Skip showing he was indeed only 29.
Joe signed him based on that but it was a few years later it appeared that Big Malc had a doctored version of this said Birth Certificate.This afternoon looking at Skip he did look like someone not far short of his 90th but he`ll still be a true City Legend whatever age he lives to.

What a great story. I first met him a few years ago in the Brahms and List bar in Tenerife. The father and sons who own the bar are all rags but lovely people. They pointed out his best friend Brian, now also sadly gone and we got chatting. Tony wasn't out there that year as he was ill but we hit it off and I had many a laugh and chat with the group. Next year Tony was there and Brian introduced me. Every year they were there about five couple's, all Tony's friends from his childhood and we had many a laugh and drink. One year he introduced me to Andy Lockhead who was in the bar with his wife and granddaughter. Sadly ill health and death means there is only one couple still going out. End of an era, sorry to ramble I don't want to detract from Glyn.

Thanks for this .... I had to go check the picture as I JUST hung it in my new home office today. And indeed you are correct, you can make out the words "Birth Certificate Tony Book"...... Brilliant
952333af414456653a101d5ecb6e905c.jpg

Just returned from Glyns funeral today which had a fair few City Old Boys in attendance.As you know only 20 attendees are allowed inside the church etc and Glyns family expressed their wishes for Tony Book,Colin Bell and Mike Summerebee to attend on Citys behalf.Tony and Colin were very big friends of Glyns anyway.
Outside there were a further 20 people who stayed until the end of the service and that included Tommy Booth,Joe Corrigan,Peter Barnes and Ian Brightwell.
Alan Oakes and Tommy Doyle were there as members of the family and young Tommy did take it badly,which as his grandson you would expect.
Me and my mate stood with Boothy and Barnsey and he can tell some great footballing stories can Tommy Booth.
Once again Glyn RIP.
Where was the service held and was he buried?

Hope I don't upset anybody with this post,but one of Glyn's United contemparies passed away very recently as well.
Tony Dunne was also a left back and he was also an integral part of the United team of the 1960s. I had to Wiki it but he was also a long serving United player with over 500 appearances in 13 years. And from what I can remember he wasn't a hate figure (like Best ,Charlton etc) he seemed like a decent guy.
So RIP Glyn and also RIP Tony.

(Mods please feel free to move this post to the United thread if it causes offence to anybody).

Last edited:
And I don't think we have ever filled that left full-back (wing back) role properly since his injury in 1970. He was a classy player and, as the song says, should have gone to Mexico and won a lot of England caps. It was harder to get a game for England in those days.
Willie Donachie wasn't half bad to be fair. I've been lucky enough to meet a few players from that era, Glyn included, and all have been lovely. Complete gentlemen.

Willie Donachie wasn't half bad to be fair. I've been lucky enough to meet a few players from that era, Glyn included, and all have been lovely. Complete gentlemen.
Yes I reckon Donachie was up there but that left side has always been a problem for us. I never met Glyn but was there for his League Cup Wembley winner (in the mud) and when Best took him out at Old Trafford. I always remember him as a very intelligent and calm player. He had great positional awareness on the field and anticipated danger. He had the rare talent in fullbacks of being as good defensively as when he went forward.

Another one of my all time favourite City Players was Woolly Donkey.Loved the lad and very much like Glyn who did any job without any fuss.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.