Considering becoming a vegetarian

The human body needs 15 amino acids to be healthy.
Other than animal products there are only two sources of full protein ftom plants - Soy and quinoa.
So, it is easier to get all your bodily requirements from a diet which includes meat/fish/poultry.
Absolute garbage
I don't eat either of those and my annual blood tests are bang on.
Also my cholesterol levels are a lot lower since I stopped eating meat.

The human body needs 15 amino acids to be healthy.
Other than animal products there are only two sources of full protein ftom plants - Soy and quinoa.
So, it is easier to get all your bodily requirements from a diet which includes meat/fish/poultry.

i hear this sort of argument - that you cant really get a proper balanced diet from vegetarian (or especially vegan) - all the time but then i go to places like India, Nepal and so on and there are hundreds of millions of folks in this world doing ok on a veg diet. Plus those in europe and america and so on.

People talk about abattoirs but I’ve been to several. As I’m from farming stock in Pembrokeshire, South Wales then I went to where the lambs were slaughtered for a full tour to ensure all regulations were followed. I also had one at Sun Valley in Hereford who produced chicken for McDonalds etc. It didn’t faze me. I’d challenge a meat eater to go and visit one.

I had a pet lamb as a child. He was called Herbie. As he was a runt of the litter type he had to be fed with a bottle. We kept Herbie as he became a farm favourite. There was an old ewe called Albert too. I’d be interested to know if anyone had an unconventional pet.

i hear this sort of argument - that you cant really get a proper balanced diet from vegetarian (or especially vegan) - all the time but then i go to places like India, Nepal and so on and there are hundreds of millions of folks in this world doing ok on a veg diet. Plus those in europe and america and so on.
Whilst this is true, it might be of more interest to people to point to the sheer number of world class athletes of all types who have enhanced their performance by going vegan or near-vegan. A few examples are footballers like Messi and Aguero (both 'associated with a vegan diet' [BBC] but I'm mentioning them here because it's a football forum), plus many of the world's best endurance athletes such as legendary ultramarathoners Scott Jurek and Rich Roll, not to mention Eliud Kipchoge (although he does occasionally eat eggs as part of a meal) and 4 x marathon world record holder Fiona Oakes. Also strength athletes, e.g. a vegan carried the heaviest weight in history, holds the world record log lift, world record beer keg lifting, world record front hold... - no meat eater has ever been able to carry out these feats. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrik_Baboumian#Accomplishments

Then you've got the fighters. Mac Danzig (mixed martial arts cage fighting world champion), David Meyer (2 x Brazilian Jiu Jitsu world champion gold winner), plus loads more incredible athletes in all disciplines - too many to mention here.

The point is... Eat what you want, hold what views you want but to claim that being vegan can in some way impede your performance when many of the greatest athletes to ever live were/are vegan is so blatantly an invalid argument that you're better off just being more honest and saying that, despite any potential benefits, you are happy with your own diet and not interested in making any changes at the moment.

Whilst this is true, it might be of more interest to people to point to the sheer number of world class athletes of all types who have enhanced their performance by going vegan or near-vegan. A few examples are footballers like Messi and Aguero (both 'associated with a vegan diet' [BBC] but I'm mentioning them here because it's a football forum), plus many of the world's best endurance athletes such as legendary ultramarathoners Scott Jurek and Rich Roll, not to mention Eliud Kipchoge (although he does occasionally eat eggs as part of a meal) and 4 x marathon world record holder Fiona Oakes. Also strength athletes, e.g. a vegan carried the heaviest weight in history, holds the world record log lift, world record beer keg lifting, world record front hold... - no meat eater has ever been able to carry out these feats. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrik_Baboumian#Accomplishments

Then you've got the fighters. Mac Danzig (mixed martial arts cage fighting world champion), David Meyer (2 x Brazilian Jiu Jitsu world champion gold winner), plus loads more incredible athletes in all disciplines - too many to mention here.

The point is... Eat what you want, hold what views you want but to claim that being vegan can in some way impede your performance when many of the greatest athletes to ever live were/are vegan is so blatantly an invalid argument that you're better off just being more honest and saying that, despite any potential benefits, you are happy with your own diet and not interested in making any changes at the moment.
Since I cut meat and fish out last October I’ve felt fitter, healthier, I can train for longer and I only wish I’d done it 20 or 30 years ago.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.