Redundancies

Funeral director?

There is a funeral place next door to our local shop. I walk past every other day or so and they are clearly busy, normally there is no sign of life but over the last two months there is constant activity and they now have 2 or 3 extra cars / fans as they block the side street when they used to just have one or two.

There is a funeral place next door to our local shop. I walk past every other day or so and they are clearly busy, normally there is no sign of life but over the last two months there is constant activity and they now have 2 or 3 extra cars / fans as they block the side street when they used to just have one or two.
No sign of life at the undertakers?

My mum is 68 and still working.

She was about to hand her month's notice in and tell them she was retiring when lockdown came around.

Both her and my dad (69) are still on full pay on furlough.

They are offering voluntary severance across 9000 employees and my mum would be looking at around £12k.

Funny how things work out. She has a good chance of getting it and I would be made up for her after a lifetime of work.

My last place of work went through a massive redundancy program. Was an absolute result for many. A good friend of mine was made redunadant at 62 after 42 years working there. He got the max payout on the redundo scheme (equivalent to just over 2 years salary) and said he danced round his kitchen when he got the call.

She was about to hand her month's notice in and tell them she was retiring when lockdown came around.

They are offering voluntary severance across 9000 employees and my mum would be looking at around £12k.

Funny how things work out. She has a good chance of getting it and I would be made up for her after a lifetime of work.

Bullseye!

My last place of work went through a massive redundancy program. Was an absolute result for many. A good friend of mine was made redunadant at 62 after 42 years working there. He got the max payout on the redundo scheme (equivalent to just over 2 years salary) and said he danced round his kitchen when he got the call.

Many of the fellas are hoping and praying for voluntary at our place. Some of them have put off early retirement over the last few years precisely for that reason.

Like in your example they've worked for the company for 30 years+ so will get a big payoff.

It's bound to happen now as we are a government contractor, budgets are going to take a kicking and the older age mix means they need to do it anyway.

I'm not to bad as I am going to retire but a lot our people still need the money and it's not fair on them.
I'm glad to be leaving our place, money wise I could really do with staying, health wise it's not worth the extra work. Industry regs will shut them down within 6 months anyway as experienced, qualified staff are being replaced by unqualified kids, it's a ticking time bomb.

Sorry to hear about redundancies which folks on this thread are facing.

I do think that once lockdown is fully lifted, there will be greater confidence and a fast recovery compared to other recessions we have experienced.

The retail industry will still probably struggle with lower footfall due to many people avoiding public places until a vaccine has been produced. Retailers also face a backlog of rent payments as well on top of holding too much stock left over from Spring and Summer unless they were able to cancel off orders.

I just hope companies who may not haven been impacted don't take the p*ss and use this as an excuse to let people go, or if they do it's solely to clear out the deadwood.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.