Redundancies

My contract was cancelled as if 1/5/20 - not worked and had no income since. As I was a contractor I don't qualify for any state help either - I'm one of the millions that fell between the cracks

How did you contract? as Ltd Co. or umbrella?

If Ltd Co you can furlough yourself (and spouse if she's a director), small potatoes in terms of money if you're on low wage with dividends, but better than nothing.

If Umbrella, then if I understand this they are your employer and can furlough you....not 100% on this tbh but worth looking at

Smart move, IR35 has killed; contracting, consultancy, interim. In a predicament now personally, understand why there's little sympathy as had it good for a while, but fuck me what now?

No it hasn't, it's just made it even more difficult. Covid-19 and working from home could be a godsend to Ltd Co contractors if they push for this to continue, even on part, once lock down is over.

Contractors need to change their working practices to match their freelance status, work from home, provide your own software and equipment as far as possible, yes it's a cost, but offset against profit and VAT.

Not possible for everyone, but is possible for many more than currently do it

Biggest hit to contracting as a ltd co has been the additional tax on dividends

Sorry to hear about redundancies which folks on this thread are facing.

I do think that once lockdown is fully lifted, there will be greater confidence and a fast recovery compared to other recessions we have experienced.

The retail industry will still probably struggle with lower footfall due to many people avoiding public places until a vaccine has been produced. Retailers also face a backlog of rent payments as well on top of holding too much stock left over from Spring and Summer unless they were able to cancel off orders.

I just hope companies who may not haven been impacted don't take the p*ss and use this as an excuse to let people go, or if they do it's solely to clear out the deadwood.

I would have agreed last week, but after seeing the queues to get into primark I feel like its a minority who are still worried about the virus. The pubs will be heaving and no such thing as social distancing will exist when they open on the 4th

No it hasn't, it's just made it even more difficult. Covid-19 and working from home could be a godsend to Ltd Co contractors if they push for this to continue, even on part, once lock down is over.

Contractors need to change their working practices to match their freelance status, work from home, provide your own software and equipment as far as possible, yes it's a cost, but offset against profit and VAT.

It definitely hasn’t and your post is absolutely spot on.

90% of our UK roles as a recruitment consultancy are contract and outside IR35 at this time.

There’s not many though.

We’ve started to make people redundant and those of us not furloughed have a team call in 45 minutes which I’m absolutely dreading.

Last edited:

Shh! Don't give advice like that, the more contractors bugger off means less of us to pick up the work left behind, ergo higher rates.

How did you contract? as Ltd Co. or umbrella?

If Ltd Co you can furlough yourself (and spouse if she's a director), small potatoes in terms of money if you're on low wage with dividends, but better than nothing.

If Umbrella, then if I understand this they are your employer and can furlough you....not 100% on this tbh but worth looking at
Thought new applications closed 10th June.

Am expecting this to happen to me on Friday furlough for me finishes then , not great but onwards and upwards

Hope you all get sorted chaps and lasses

It definitely hasn’t and your post is absolutely spot on.

90% of our UK roles as a recruitment consultancy are contract and outside IR35 at this time.

There’s not many though.

We’ve started to make people redundant and those of us not furloughed have a team call in 45 minutes which I’m absolutely dreading.

Hope it goes/went well for you, Agents/recruitment consultants have a big part to play in this in terms of negotiating the "correct" contract with end clients. I've been actively avoiding IR35 since its inception nearly 20 years ago, and saw this coming so took an opportunity when it cropped up 3 years ago to move to working from home, it's the way forward for those who can do it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.