Ilkay Gundogan - 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
@twosips hit the nail on the head with his match reaction. Gundogan plays brilliantly in the 6 role versus ‘man city light’ versions of teams we face. He was excellent tonight.

Gundo was class in the run in last season with no Fernandinho.

Week after week he bossed the midfield against all sorts of teams.

I think for the Gundo detractors (definitely been one myself in the past) is that he’s a hybrid 6. For me, he’s not a pure 8 like Dave, Phil, or KDB and not a pure 6 in the vein of Fernandinho. Incredibly harsh? A bit Spoiled? Definitely.

He’s a class addition, no doubt. I think he’s improved in the areas where he’s been criticized and that’s all critics/blues can ask for.

I think for the Gundo detractors (definitely been one myself in the past) is that he’s a hybrid 6. For me, he’s not a pure 8 like Dave, Phil, or KDB and not a pure 6 in the vein of Fernandinho. Incredibly harsh? A bit Spoiled? Definitely.

He’s a class addition, no doubt. I think he’s improved in the areas where he’s been criticized and that’s all critics/blues can ask for.

My thoughts too, he has good and bad patches like everyone, end of last season he was class but he’s had poor patches earlier this year.

The difference is that he doesn’t get time from fans for his bad patches, as he’s in a small group of players that gets stick.

He consistently is.

When he plays deeper he is. As an 8, he's not nearly as effective. When we look at all his best games in a City shirt post injury, he's playing as our 6.

Hopefully Pep has finally realised this trend and keeps him predominantly as a 6 in rotation with Rodri (or alongside him when we change systems).

He reminds me a bit of Gareth Barry, legs are gone but the football brain and ability is usually among the best on the pitch. Its not just the passing - its the right time to take risks on and off the ball.

It works in the right games where we are sufficiently on top to dominate. My concern is that against the best of the best the lack of pace/energy will be exposed at some point.

Of course he did, I did a thread called I am a sheep, people are looking for negativity before the match has kicked off, gundogan has been excellent and the myth that it's against weaker pretty teams is exactly that a myth, world class our gundo

@twosips hit the nail on the head with his match reaction. Gundogan plays brilliantly in the 6 role versus ‘man city light’ versions of teams we face. He was excellent tonight.
Thank you! He's always great against Arsenal. Simple reason is that he's better than his opposites that try and do the same. Arsenal would kill for Ilkay. Xhaka is nowhere his level.

Edit- do agree that he can be fine against others too! Last season's run in for example. He was quality. I also agree with Pep when he said hes one of our best signings. When you consider his cheap fee, and the level he allows our squad to be, he was a bargain IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.