UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we had irrefutable evidence, as claimed, you'd think City's legal team would know if it hit home or not. If it was a finely balanced point of law then reading it might be awkward. I am more confident now than when I was before, particularly as the media have for the first time been completely silent on the subject.

i imagine they are weighing up the evidence on each side and thinking long and hard about what material weight to assign. The closer it is the longer it takes and neither side are likely to have a clue what a third party thinks.

It's been suggested that our audited accounts prove where the sponsorship money came from, but from my limited experience company accounts don't normally include this do they? I don't think our auditors would necessarily know where the sponsorship money came from nor would it necessarily say on a bank statement. The only way of proving the source of the funds would be by producing Etihad's bank statements. It would have been nice for there to have been public statements from the sponsors themselves clarifying the position following the AC's decision given that their integrity was being questioned.

Anyway the waiting's killing me, feels like exam results all over again.

They have to produce a full document going over the decision with the reasons for it and covering the evidence etc. The decision might even have been roughly known as soon as the hearing finished.

Absolutely. Regardless of the decision it will be subject to scrutiny so needs to be justified. This takes time.

It's been suggested that our audited accounts prove where the sponsorship money came from, but from my limited experience company accounts don't normally include this do they? I don't think our auditors would necessarily know where the sponsorship money came from nor would it necessarily say on a bank statement. The only way of proving the source of the funds would be by producing Etihad's bank statements. It would have been nice for there to have been public statements from the sponsors themselves clarifying the position following the AC's decision given that their integrity was being questioned.

Anyway the waiting's killing me, feels like exam results all over again.

Behind a set of audited accounts is an audit. An auditor comes into a company to verify its numbers for the year with reference to the documents and evidence. It can't check or review everything (there is a materiality threshold) but it is bound to have checked one of the most material contracts in the business worth 10-15% of revenue. It will also have sought evidence of the contract and the payment being made and that they reconciled and if not why not. There are 2 sides to every payment so no we would not need Etihad's bank statement which it obviously had no power to get.

And Etihad did make a statement: “Etihad Airways is proud to have been Manchester City FC’s main club partner since May 2009. The airline’s financial obligations, associated with the partnership of the club and the broader City Football Group, have always been, and remain, the sole liability and responsibility of Etihad Airways. This is reflected in the airline’s audited accounts.

Behind a set of audited accounts is an audit. An auditor comes into a company to verify its numbers for the year with reference to the documents and evidence. It can't check or review everything (there is a materiality threshold) but it is bound to have checked one of the most material contracts in the business worth 10-15% of revenue. It will also have sought evidence of the contract and the payment being made and that they reconciled and if not why not. There are 2 sides to every payment so no we would not need Etihad's bank statement which it obviously had no power to get.

And Etihad did make a statement: “Etihad Airways is proud to have been Manchester City FC’s main club partner since May 2009. The airline’s financial obligations, associated with the partnership of the club and the broader City Football Group, have always been, and remain, the sole liability and responsibility of Etihad Airways. This is reflected in the airline’s audited accounts.
And you would think, this would be UEFA’s biggest hurdle to have proven to CAS, I know you linked the Greek clubs case last week and noted how CAS were almost non-comital on this, but it’s the very essence of this case and surely would need to be proven by UEFA.

And you would think, this would be UEFA’s biggest hurdle to have proven to CAS, I know you linked the Greek clubs case last week and noted how CAS were almost non-comital on this, but it’s the very essence of this case and surely would need to be proven by UEFA.

Based on what we know, if CAS reject the hurdles on limitation and the settlement, I have not been able to think of a way for CAS to dodge the question of how UEFA are able to win without showing our accounts are in effect false (i.e. the allegation they made in PAE). I haven't as yet found any other cases where UEFA has made that allegation or where its been tested at CAS.

Based on what we know, if CAS reject the hurdles on limitation and the settlement, I have not been able to think of a way for CAS to dodge the question of how UEFA are able to win without showing our accounts are in effect false (i.e. the allegation they made in PAE). I haven't as yet found any other cases where UEFA has made that allegation or where its been tested at CAS.
Do you think CAS would look to dismiss this on the technicalities of the settlement to avoid this rabbit hole? Or is that too romantic an idea

And the Etihad accounts as well by the looks of that quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.