Maine Road (Football Away Days)

I’ve just mentioned in another thread, my uncle stopped going after the Kippax was knocked down. I reckon thousands did!

When you think, if you include the open corner, there’d be 25,000 standing on the Kippax in big games. That was knocked down and some moved to the North Stand while the Kippax was a building site.

However the North Stand already had long standing fans in there and only held about 6,000. Thousands upon thousands of fans were lost from our support in 1994, some never to return.

My uncle tried the North Stand but didn’t like being behind the goal, and tried the new Kippax when it was finished but he said it was dreadful. And I think he’s only been to about half a dozen games (the odd cup game I get him a ticket for) since. I think losing the Kippax broke his heart a bit.

Are you my nephew? You could have written virtually the same for me, I loved the old Kippax, compulsory seating ruined the football experience for me.

It wasn’t really a shit hole. By the time we left, two of the stands were newer than the Etihad is now. And the floor outside the ground was flatter with fewer puddles than the Etihad has.

Back in 1923 it was the best ground in the country and was for many decades.

Opinions mate. It was a shit hole in mine. Yours is different. I loved it don’t get me wrong.

How many Leeds fans are on the comments to that saying “those back streets though” “if you didn’t get ambushed in the back streets there you didn’t go!”

A Geordie also said “roughest ground I’ve been to, worse than West Ham”!
I can't access the comments, do you need to register to view them?

How many Leeds fans are on the comments to that saying “those back streets though” “if you didn’t get ambushed in the back streets there you didn’t go!”

A Geordie also said “roughest ground I’ve been to, worse than West Ham”!
Yep,this is the crew
95973873_3091136360999566_438709312100197926_n.jpg

What was a packed Kippax terrace like? Sadly before my time. Find it interesting as most popular sections are behind the goal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.