COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
we are behind time wise though ,a good three weeks,we should be behind with opening up

True, but plenty of things have opened up in Germany well over 3 weeks before they have over here. Football started up on May 8th over there, June 17th over here. Hairdressers have been open for several weeks over there and still no reopening date over here.

I read somewhere a week or two ago that Spain have an unusual method of reporting cases/deaths which probably makes the figures look lower than they really are. They are in a better place with it than us but perhaps not as much as it appears just looking at the stats.

I expect they need to get their economy going and tourism is a fair chunk of that. British people probably make up quite a significant proportion of tourism. I think France, Greece, Portugal, Italy etc are doing the same thing for the same reasons. Cyprus seems to be holding out though.
You're correct about the recording method. It seems the last few weeks they didn't give daily death tolls, as they wanted to do a thorough audit which yesterday resulted in over a thousand being added to the total. The number of new cases is consistently low although creeping up.

You are also correct re the economy but as I say numbers increasing already this could make matters worse.

I have been very surprised to read that economic depression might not actually lead to a surge in mortality rates.
I had concluded like Trump that must be the outcome. How disappointed I am not only to share a trumpism but to realise donald and I are way off track.
Give it time. It will happen unless the eeconomy bounces back quickly.

There were 359 Covid cases in Germany and one reported death today. It is too early to say they've got a second wave and it is down to some hairdressers opening a few weeks ago. At these low numbers the infections in the vast meat packing factor might have had a significant impact on the R number in Germany.

Germany could be more at risk of a second wave than us.
They locked down and test/traced early on. Therefore they have less people who will have had the virus.
Their death toll has been quietly rising despite those early measures. This added to the fact they only record deaths if Covid was the cause.
They will have the same dilemma as our government. Economy versus public health. Be interesting to see which they chose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.