COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least he's told the truth.

The UK healthcare leadership got it it wrong. Really wrong.
They asked the wrong question: "Does a mask protect the wearer?" (To which the answer is: "Not much.") Whereas the question should have been: "Does wearing a mask protect everyone else from the wearer?" (To which the answer is: "Hell, yes!")
From day one of mask wearing in Spain all sales people eg fuel attendants etc told customers it was to protect their customers not themselves. Customers took the message and soon we could all see the risk takers ie those with no mask.
Up to now our part of Spain continues to be CV19 free but now regional travel is allowed maybe it will spread but if no mask in public places 100 euro fine so we will see.

More death sentences will be handed out by His Majesty the Grim Reaper if this Economy gets any worse, its on it's knees, no taxes through Business and employment equals Austerity that has not ever been witnessed ever. As others have already alluded to its a massive balancing act that I do not envy any leader or Party to have to make. Avoiding this Virus is simple, stick to the fucking rules and don't be a dick which I am afraid is difficult for most.

I'd agree that we need to get things moving again for those that can or chose to and that those most vulnerable must be protected. Covid isn't going to simply disappear when new cases are at this level and social distancing rules are being slackened. But just because austerity has been peddled as the only option it doesn't make it the only choice, there are others.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...are-solution-that-left-and-right-can-agree-on

It all takes some explaining. The government has borrowed more than £100bn in two months and the national debt ratio is bigger than the economy’s annual output, but investors don’t care a bit.

Orthodox economic theory says rising budget deficits lead to rising interest rates because the financial markets get nervous and demand a higher price for lending to the state. Not these days. There have even been examples of investors paying for the privilege of lending to the British government.

I hope that DC and his rip it up approach has some benefits after all.

The track and trace system seems to be next to non existent from my experience.

My dad received a positive result first thing Monday morning. It was a shock as he's 74 and has been basically shielding for three months. He went out once last week to drop something off with someone who we found out tested positive afterwards. We sent him for a test as he did develop a cough over over the weekend but it still knocked us for six when the result came through.

Anyway, it's 51 hours since his text came through and nobody has contacted us regarding track and trace. That's over two days lost. It took three days for the guy I think he caught it off to be contacted by a tracer. That simply isn't good enough. The country needs to come out of lockdown but the preparation to keep people safe isn't in place. We're being led into a very dangerous situation to appear to keep up with other countries but the people tasked with leading us out safely are failing us.

As far as my dad goes the track and trace failure hopefully won't do too much damage. I'm staying with my parents so we've had to quarantine and aside from seeing one person who he caught it from I phoned the newsagent where he bought a paper this weekend myself to notify them. There isn't anyone else to tell.

I would urge everyone to be careful and to tell their loved ones to be careful too right now. Please don't be going about your business believing there is a system in place to manage the spread. There isn't. And please stick to distancing and handwashing. My dad's guard dropped literally once in three months (and outdoors too) and that's all it took.

Sorry to hear about your dad and your family’s situation. I hope he is better soon.

Health prevention is always better than cure so anybody taking extra risks because they have been told track and trace is effective and place needs to give their heads a wobble. We have been told repeatedly that social distancing and washing our hands thoroughly is the main defence and it’s better to wear a mask out in public.

I have been critical on this thread about the poor local public health involvement that is needed as part of an effective test, trace and isolate System. I do think that some other parts of the UK (eg Northern Ireland where they maintained test and trace IIRC)! are in a better place and English Regions are playing catch up on track and trace.

Sorry to hear about your dad and your family’s situation. I hope he is better soon.

Health prevention is always better than cure so anybody taking extra risks because they have been told track and trace is effective and place needs to give their heads a wobble. We have been told repeatedly that social distancing and washing our hands thoroughly is the main defence and it’s better to wear a mask out in public.

I have been critical on this thread about the poor local public health involvement that is needed as part of an effective test, trace and isolate System. I do think that some other parts of the UK (eg Northern Ireland where they maintained test and trace IIRC)! are in a better place and English Regions are playing catch up on track and trace.

Yes it definitely feel like there needs to be more organisation at local level. With regards to our situation we have two people within half a mile of eachother that have tested positive in the space of two days. It seems to me like it would be a good idea if people in the area were warned about that. I think most people would respond to news that there's been a couple of cases in their immediate vicinity by voluntarily cutting back on their movements (or exercising extreme caution if they can't stay home)

The guy my dad caught it off is a total moron who has been all over the place in the weeks leading up to his test so it wouldn't surprise me if there are more cases around here.

I definitely have friends whose guard has dropped of late. It's just natural because there's been this prevailing sense that were getting back to normal. Even the news has been saying stuff like "independence day" regarding reopening. Telling us there's a world beating track and trace system in place was a v irresponsible thing to do in my opinion. I agree people shouldn't use that as a cue to go wild but it does create a perception that there's a framework in place within which we can think about going out more etc

I think my experience has definitely been a wake up call to people I know because they know how strictly we've been living since March.

Yes it definitely feel like there needs to be more organisation at local level. With regards to our situation we have two people within half a mile of eachother that have tested positive in the space of two days. It seems to me like it would be a good idea if people in the area were warned about that. I think most people would respond to news that there's been a couple of cases in their immediate vicinity by voluntarily cutting back on their movements (or exercising extreme caution if they can't stay home)

The guy my dad caught it off is a total moron who has been all over the place in the weeks leading up to his test so it wouldn't surprise me if there are more cases around here.

I definitely have friends whose guard has dropped of late. It's just natural because there's been this prevailing sense that were getting back to normal. Even the news has been saying stuff like "independence day" regarding reopening. Telling us there's a world beating track and trace system in place was a v irresponsible thing to do in my opinion. I agree people shouldn't use that as a cue to go wild but it does create a perception that there's a framework in place within which we can think about going out more etc

I think my experience has definitely been a wake up call to people I know because they know how strictly we've been living since March.

Good post and I agree. Local communities should be notified when local people have the virus.

For example, I have heard several times from Government Ministers (and I only see the press conference once or twice a week) that the CEO of Leeds Council is working alongside Dido Harding to localise the response to Covid eg by ramping up local authority and public health involvement. I live in Leeds and I have never heard or seen a picture of this guy. It seems like another tick box exercise.

FWIW, I volunteered for the NHS Responder roles and I didn’t get any calls as there were far too many volunteers, real-time to the people needing help. I would have been happy to help with track and trace (and I’ve done things like get people’s shopping on my own initiative). There were over 750k NHS Responder volunteers IIRC. The assumption that the number of cases got out of hand for local track and trace capacity is only a reality for the leadership of the Covid response who had a lack of imagination.

the arguments over the interpretation of that graph suggests no one is really sure.

Dropped my boy off at school this morning. He had to go back...any enforcement of schoolwork had long since evaporated. Ended up stuck in Roblox world. He was distraught and was a struggle but I’m sure once in he’ll be fine. FaceTime has been handy for him but not the same as being there with his friends again.

Royal fucker this virus but perhaps, eventually, we’ll just remember it all as that very strange year.
And hopefully learned many, many lessons from it (not that I believe it to be over yet).

Good post and I agree. Local communities should be notified when local people have the virus.

For example, I have heard several times from Government Ministers (and I only see the press conference once or twice a week) that the CEO of Leeds Council is working alongside Dido Harding to localise the response to Covid eg by ramping up local authority and public health involvement. I live in Leeds and I have never heard or seen a picture of this guy. It seems like another tick box exercise.

FWIW, I volunteered for the NHS Responder roles and I didn’t get any calls as there were far too many volunteers, real-time to the people needing help. I would have been happy to help with track and trace (and I’ve done things like get people’s shopping on my own initiative). There were over 750k NHS Responder volunteers IIRC. The assumption that the number of cases got out of hand for local track and trace capacity is only a reality for the leadership of the Covid response who had a lack of imagination.

It's weird too because I think a lot of tracers are still saying they have nothing to do? If we're looking a 2 day+ wait until you hear from a tracer they'd be better off just telling people to get phoning around people they've seen immediately. I think a lot would do that anyway but I don't think many people would call shops up and stuff like that. I'm really glad I called the newsagents on behalf of my dad though as it was a face to face cash transaction and i'd be worried that we hadn't done the right thing if I didnt at least let him know.

We are being warned that there is a second wave coming on the day that lockdown is effectively over, it's like being put in a barrel and them asking you to piss in a corner. I get the strong feeling that they haven't got a clue what they are doing and are winging it.

I'm relieved that nobody I know has died of this virus but who knows with the next round of infections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.