Stephen Ireland

I gave the wife a 50 Euro note outside a bar in a side street just off La Rambla so that she could browse the shops while I had a beer. Off she went and I went in the bar and ordered said beer. Before it had been poured the wife was back, " that 50 Euro note has been taken out of my bag" less than 2 minutes after I gave it her !!!

I am not surprised. I went interrailing in 95 and stayed, for 6 days, in a hostel on the Placa Reial (off La Ramblas) and every night there was attempts by pick pockets, in gangs, to take your money. Went back 20 years later and had similar issues. Great City but not the safest if you want to leave clubs at 2am or not become a victim of pickpocketing.

My one and only Stephen Ireland story:

The grandkids of a mate of mine wanted a dog so their Dad said that if they earnt the money to get one they could have it. They decided to wash cars and knocked on a couple of doors. They came to Stephen Ireland's house, as he lived in the area, and knocked on his door and he let them wash his car. They got chatting and the story about what they were doing came out. When they finished he asked how much they still had to raise and they told him £85 - so he gave them the lot and off they went!
He is a generous bloke with his dosh.
He once tipped the security guard at carrington (Mike) I think his name was, a check for £1000.
Pulled up in his R8 Audi wrote the check in the car and passed it out of the window! I remember thinking I want Mikes job!! :-)

I am not surprised. I went interrailing in 95 and stayed, for 6 days, in a hostel on the Placa Reial (off La Ramblas) and every night there was attempts by pick pockets, in gangs, to take your money. Went back 20 years later and had similar issues. Great City but not the safest if you want to leave clubs at 2am or not become a victim of pickpocketing.

I fancy ticking Barcelona off the list but it sounds like you’ve got to keep your wits about you. It’s easy to get pissed on strong continental lager in the sun.

I fancy ticking Barcelona off the list but it sounds like you’ve got to keep your wits about you. It’s easy to get pissed on strong continental lager in the sun.

It is well worth a visit, a fantastic City and the type of crime is typically low level stuff (pickpocketing) and concentrated around la Ramblas etc or late at night around the bars etc. I would not let it put you off visiting as there are so many incredible attractions. Just thinking about it makes me want to go back. Probably, along with Prague and Budapest my favourite European City.

Last edited:
Berlin for me. Fourth trip tomorrow and I’ve never had an issue.

I’ve been to Seville for Sevilla Away plus Malaga twice. That’s it for Spain. I don’t see the mass appeal as it can get too hot there.

I have a little draw string bag that I carry stuff in. Maybe stick my wallet and phone in there.

Ive been to Barcelona a few time but if you think thats bad try Naples lucky if you have still got your wallet within minutes of leaving port gates.Never carry a bag especialy a backpack, i fold my money up and keep it in a deep pocket. never lost any.

Berlin for me. Fourth trip tomorrow and I’ve never had an issue.

I’ve been to Seville for Sevilla Away plus Malaga twice. That’s it for Spain. I don’t see the mass appeal as it can get too hot there.

I have a little draw string bag that I carry stuff in. Maybe stick my wallet and phone in there.

i hope you are going to stay in doors for 14 days when you come back

Barcelona is terrible.
In the place for 5 mins and I caught somebody trying to pick my pockets.
No rush to go back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.