Chelsea (a) post-match thread

When Liverpool lost out on the league last season then went and won the CL and kicked on from it.

It’s time for us to do the same.

Let’s be honest. Liverpool have only really competed in 2 comps last 2 seasons.

we’ve been in all of them....trying to win. Imagine if we’d have taken the same approach....CL and PL

that said, we have a good chance now....

I think personally the VAR against Tottenham

This farce, the Norwich debacle and Laporte’s injury doomed our PL season

But mad as it seems we could still win a quadruple .. a double quadruple!!.. which would arguably be the best season we’ve ever had and would overshadow the dippers

In a strange way I'm relieved it's over now. With the CL is secure,dependant on CAS, they can now concentrate on winning two more trophies.

We are brainless on the pitch at times (and I'm not just talking about the Mendy Gundogan catastrophe). Mahrez has been one of our standout performers recently and after Alonso was carded he hardly touched the ball again. We should have been feeding and overloading that side of the pitch all night after the booking but Mahrez seemed to want to drift inside because we didn't have a striker.

A pretty poor defence of the Title. Didn't look focused on it from the off.
We now go into a crucial stage for us with no real target man up front, still no left back worth the name and one central defender of quality.
Tonight summed up the league campaign with many below par performances ,an inability to convert chances and a porous defence.
All in all we could still turn this round but not if we self destruct.

We peaked last season when we were magnificent. The warning signs were there though, Liverpool were getting stronger and stronger. We have strengthened but our recruitment has been sub standard. Going forward we need a major rebuild due to my last statement but financially we probably won't be able to.

Our defence is shocking and our midfield is slow, too easily bypassed and weak. Up front we have an ageing Aguero and in patches Mahrez. Bernardo and Sterlings form has gone off a cliff, will it ever return? Jesus is a more skilful Dickov. Totally anonymous in too many games in spite of his hard work.

In defence only Ederson, Laporte and Walker should stay. In midfield we have Kev, Foden and Bernardo if he regains his form. Fern can do another season but he is coming up to 35 years of age. Up front Aguero and Mahrez should stay, the jury's out on whether Sterling and Jesus can somehow up their game to the level required. Sterling has in the past but has been pretty shocking for a long time now.

Rodri for me is a bad fit for us and the premier league in particular. Too slow. Cancelo and Mendy have been a disaster. Gundogan has quality but again he is slow and disappears too often when the going gets tough. We are losing Silva.

We may have to see us slip down the pecking order for a couple of seasons, especially if the champions league ban stands. Sorry if this sounds a bit doom and gloom and we could still win another two trophies this season but it can't mask our weaknesses

Oh and yes I was there in the dark times but we have to stop measuring today from that, we are a top team and club now and have to be ruthless to stay there.

Usual triangles of build-up play outside the box, a la Arsenal from a few years ago with no outcome, no thrust, a blunt edged sword. Not sure if I saw Rodri pass forward, Mahrez back to usual ffs form and Gundog might have the greatest pass percentage since football was invented, but he'll never win us a game.

And defence, nothing we haven't see a hundred times before.

I thought when we scored we might perk up and go on and win the game, but that perk didn't last long. Tbh anytime I see Gundog on the team sheet I can already predict that we'll have a ponderous, frustrating game to watch. He can ship out and take Mahrez with him.

To suggest that this is a poor season overall shows how spoilt we have become.

We are comfortably second in the league, won a domestic trophy and still involved in the CL and FA cup.

Liverpool have been relentless and a step above us with their consistency this season. Both of us dominate teams and score plenty of goals. Football wise there is not much between us. They simply haven’t made the mistakes we have.

That doesn’t mean we have been poor though. Average by our standards I would agree with but not poor.

Yep. Way to many individual errors to be competitive. I think we are a better team to watch, but the brain fart defending is what separates it.

I’ll remain of the opinion that they have had some assistance, but not conflate with our inability to defend and put away guilt edged chances.

Let’s be honest. Liverpool have only really competed in 2 comps last 2 seasons.

we’ve been in all of them....trying to win. Imagine if we’d have taken the same approach....CL and PL

that said, we have a good chance now....

That’s true but they’ve shown remarkable resilience to achieve what they have.

They lost a CL final and won it the following year. They lost the league by a single point and won it the next year.

I think we will never be in a better position to win the CL than we are now and this provides some serious motivation.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.