Who and what’s to blame?

6 out of our 8 defeats this season have been when gundo and Rodri have started together.

8 of those defeats have been with Rodri as DM.

Our record when they don't start is 20 games 16 wins 2 draws and 2 losses.

Rodri is a big issue and doesn’t suit our style whatsoever - it feels like we get countered on ridiculously easy and nearly every single goal we concede is on the break. Those clever little fouls that Fernandinho used to commit when we were high up the pitch were absolutely priceless.

Bang on. He isn’t the player the happy clappers think he is. He’s not mobile enough and to slow. He’s been another poor purchase.

Laporte injury
Fernandinho not in his best position
Left back a problem
Playing 2 or three of Gundogan, Rodri ( too slow) and David
Sterling woeful performances since the Gomez incident/ playing on the left
Too much tinkering with the team
VAR
Positive- still in 2 cups and a decent chance of winning one/ both if we play as we are capable

Let’s face it, there was no way the hateful eight and stooges would let us win it again, first of all the FFP shite hanging over us, then the VAR farce where it has been weaponised to fuck City, add to that a tired squad, still going all out in every competition and it’s amazing we have done so well.

the c*nts in the media blind us with propaganda and tell us how we should feel, well I feel pretty chipper, we have an entertaining team, a great manager and the best fans, what’s not to like.

I agree with everything in the OP's post.

However, I think the PL made it clear from the outset that Liverpool must win the title this year, and they fucked us over at every opportunity to ensure that was the case. The diabolical VAR scandals in the opening dozen games or so, made sure of it and tbh they would have continued had we genuinely been in the chase.

So yes, we've been very uninspiring in certain aspects of our game, but honestly I think had we been on our A game all season, even that would not have been enough. The system is too bent and they simply did not want us winning a third in a row under any circumstances. Bad for business.

1. Not replacing Vinnie - huge huge mistake - we already knew Stones was unrealiable and going through a bad patch with confidence and injuries - yet we did nothing about it.

2We compouded this by then taking our best no.6/defensive midfielder and moving him to centre half - he hasnt played really badly - infact he has done ok but he aint a centre half and then playing him next to Ottomendi is a disaster waiting to happen - this leads me onto mistakes 3 and 4

3. Moving ferna out of the deeper midfield role sees the introduction of Rodri who i believe is use to playing with a partner as a pivot - yet he i often played as a single pivot - this sees his lack of pace and mobility hugely exposed - and playing him with Gundogan (mistake number 4) only emaphasises this as he is the most lack lustre no.6 you will ever see - he is poor at tackling, defending in general - yes he keeps the game ticking over but thats only half the job and he is shit at the other half which then sees our already dodgy defence further exposed.

5. Left back - Ive been critical of Mendy since day one and nothing has changed and infact his performances have only gone on to increase my belief that he is a very poor player especially defensively. Might be a nice guy but needs to be got rid of -simply not good enough

6. The Sane saga - now who is to blame (if thats the right word for it and it might not be) is up for discussion - certainly the player himself hasnt helped anything but playing him in the charity shield when it seems by reports from some that he was on the verge of being sold with hindsight was a vey poor decision - sell him then get 70 -100m for him and we could improve the squad - now we will likely get half of that (this is no ones fault due to the pandemic but tis still a mistake)

7. The purchase of Mahrez - still not seeing it - flashes of brilliance but no consistency

8 Gundogan playing in against "the better teams" - he is fine against average prem opposition but again it showed last night (nad this is a real pattern with his performances) that when he is pressured he is poor - too much sideways and short passing - offers very little creativity and zero defensive stability - for me him along with Mendy are huge weak points in our squad along with the lack of a decent centre half partner for Laporte

9. Stones - what has happened to him - injuries yes have taken its tole but we are led to believe its not that but that its a mental issue with him...he doesnt look right when he is on the pitch - he is distracted and stressed and you can see it in him

An over reliance on Kun - Gabby has had plenty of time and is. a very good player BUT he isnt one to lead a line on a permanent basis - yes there have been one of performances in this role but there is no consistency in it - he is far better playing with partners - Kun is getting to the end. We havent made a mistake yet but our transfer activity history doesnt fill me with confidence that we will wait too long to sort this out (and possibly that we will try to go with what we have which would be a HUGE mistake)

This can all be rectified with "clever" work int he transfer market - HOWEVER will we be allowed? If the Euro ban gets upheld, even for a year, we will take a huge step backwards as some of these problems are NOT going to right themselves and we may not be able to attract the players we want to sort them out. Mendy isnt going to get better and neither is gundogan. Our centre half issue isnt going to sort itself out either. We may have to dig our heels in and NOT sell Sane to munich even if it ultimately means him leaving on a free as next year we might need him (then we are playing a player who doesnt want to be here and that could disrupt the squad) - Are the kids ready to step up - I know people love the romanticism in this possiblity but the stark reality is that as good as Foden and Garcia are - are they ready to battle it out int he champs league and Premiership - its a brutal season - THB certainly is raw and looks good as well but to throw him in a the deep end could be detrimental.

In fairness, by our previous recent standards we've been pretty shit this season.

But, we have to realise, those standards were exceptional and cannot be replicated every season.

Reasons for the drop -

1. Psychology. "Been there, done that" and "fucking ace us" syndromes. Basically, in their heads they deserved a season off and they were not as hungry as before.

2. Kompany. Wasn't replaced and this culminated in Fernandinho having to play out of position at CB.

3. Fernandinho. As point 2, taken away from his role of "the glue" in the system.

4. Laporte. Best CB at the club, out for most of the season. Self explanatory.

5. Sane. Fantastic option and perfect for the pressing and countering Pep likes. Huge loss.

6. Mistakes / sloppiness. Feeds into point 1. Lead to a lot of needless goals conceded.

Is all.

Fuck all to do with the dippers cheating or VAR. You have to get your own house in order before anything else.

We simply have not been good enough consistently enough to retain the title.

No one is to blame.

We had 2 years of 198 points and 5 trophies, you can’t continue at that pace forever and inevitably we’ve not won the league every season.

We’ve won a trophy already this season, have a great chance to win two more and if we do, it’ll go down as arguably our greatest season ever.

6 trophies in 2.5 seasons is immense, the football we play is immense.

Sure, losing 8 games is poor by our standard but great teams burn out all the time in football, Liverpool aren’t going to be this good forever either.

You can’t coast on history pal, recent as it may be. Each season is its own story.

8 losses in the Premiership this year and we still have 7 games left.
Lost away to Norwich who with respect have been the whipping boys this year and rock bottom and certain relegation.
But what pains me is after coming back from the lockdown and having a 100% injury free squad Guardiola still plays Fernandinho in a central defence roll... Stupid arrogant & crazy.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.