Who and what’s to blame?

1st season he gets a pass
2nd season - come on pal he wasn’t just good he was absolutely outstanding
3rd season - he hasn’t hit the heights but since he got over the Mendy affair he’s been decent

He’s a class footballer no disputing that but for 2 seasons out of 3 he’s underachieved here with his talent. Had a very good season last I agree but for the position he played in a top side his goals and assists rate were nothing to get excited about.

VAR mentally did for many in my opinion as it did for us as fans watching it week in, week out.
The players? If they're that weak mentally they shouldn't be at the club but I don't believe they are so I'll discount VAR as a major reason for losing the title. Regardless it didn't cost us anything like as many points as the howlers at the back and failure to finish off teams when on top, last night managed to combine both aspects.

Not buying a quality CB was a definite mistake and combined with the loss of Laporte for half the season left us short at the position. The way we use full backs as auxiliary attackers means their pace is more or less redundant when they're halfway in the opposition half and leaves us vulnerable to fast counter attacks.

Who’s to blame for this record?

C1-BA5-C46-4-AAD-44-F2-A9-DE-3730-E7415252.jpg

The whole team is to blame. They were snatching defeats from the jaws of victory almost on weekly basis. Once it becomes a habit, it is difficult to root it out. I've been watching football since mid 70s and never seen a team dominating the game completely and still being f...ed at the end.

He’s a class footballer no disputing that but for 2 seasons out of 3 he’s underachieved here with his talent. Had a very good season last I agree but for the position he played in a top side his goals and assists rate were nothing to get excited about.
To take him to the next level yes he needs to add goals to his game but in terms of assists we play such an intricate system that it’s often not the final ball that’s the killer pass it’s one earlier in the move so it’s hard to judge his effectiveness based on the official assists stats.

I think everyone has covered off most of the obvious issues with no replacement for a Vinnie being the biggest one that is on the club

I think the make up of the midfield has been a problem all season though, back in 17/18 we had a peak Fernandinho who could do both the sweeping up role and the deep playmaker role, we had Dave in the form of his life and still had the legs to get up and down the pitch , and we had Kevin providing the moments of genius

this season , Fernandinho has been moved back to defence , Silva’s legs have gone 18 months ago and Kevin, who admittedly is still our genius.

if we are to play Rodri in that role , he needs legs ahead of him not Gundogan. I don’t think Foden is the answer to this next season either which is why Pep has been mentioning him playing wide

If we are to persevere with Rodri we need someone who can get from box to box , ideally someone who has a bit of physicality about them

we also need a centre back who takes no prisoners but is used to playing in a high line , Koulibaly would be ideal

a left back who can defend would also be nice

Alaba
Savic
Koulibaly

My single most Largest criticism of our leadership is not kicking on when we are top to push for dominance

the transfer strategy this summer was a disaster. Similar to mancini’s last summer.

just bought reallY averagely.

and as mentioned peps stubbornness wIth playing fern at CB when it was clear for all to see he struggled there and the team struggled without him in DM was damning

Too many piss poor performances
Mendy last night
Stones against Palace
Zinchenko’s red against spurs plus the fact wasted chances & missed pen
Norwich away shocking
Rags home and away poor
Wolves away down to ten but two nil up and lose
But apart from that still won a cup and have chance to win two more

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.