Chelsea (a) post-match thread

City were great to watch, as usual. I dream of the day I can watch Chelsea play the sort of instinctive, one-touch football you lot play. We parked the bus for long periods, looking t counter attack when the opportunity presented itself, so it's not difficult to understand why City struggled to create, especially in the first half.

I'm not sure if a Rhodri/Gundogan pivot works, having destroyer/energy-bunny in the Kante mould might be the thing that gets the best out of Rhodri. I don't think the team requires major surgery, but a couple of additions in key areas would help.

I hope we get to battle with you for the title next season. I've missed being in a title fight.
I would love Kante at City but you would never let him go. Kante could be an ideal replacement for Ferdy. There are not many players like him out there unfortunately. If you had asked me last season I would have said Bernardo could play that role for City but he has been off his game this year for some reason, probably burned out from last year when he won five trophies for City and Portugal.

I am very happy for Liverpool, they truly deserve the title this year. Truly am.

What makes me sad and angry is the amount of hate City is getting for not winning it. Liverpool winning the league for many media, FA and others seems like it has been a forgotten love story, meanwhile us winning the quadruple last year means absolutely nothing.

I never saw the amount of attention that Liverpool is getting now when we won every single title on offer in the country. Even last year them winning the Champions League meant more than us winning the quadruple

I wonder if we win the Champions League will we get the same attention Liverpool got last year or will the media just concentrate on the fact that we might not play in the CL next year.

Even with all our downfalls this year we still play some of the best football in the world. But it seems it is never enough cause we will always be the plastic club that won it with money. Well bring on the Champions League cause i will take that win as a plastic club with all the money in the world to piss off everyone who hates on us.

CTID

The lack of pace is the issue. As we have all said you can't play Rodhri and Gundo together (both good players but not in a combination). Ferdy is slowing down as well. We get outpaced in midfield. It also looks like Mendy has lost some pace with his injury. Our style of play only works with pace. We need a fast centre back, another quick left back, probably a striker as well to replace Sergio. It's not rocket science nor is it a total re-build.

I’d suggest that our style of play relies on not giving the ball away rather than pace. It’s a system that becomes high-risk when the forwards spurn chances and when the midfielders cannot get back to cover.

I advocated buying two attacking midfielders last season and was told we needed to strengthen elsewhere. Same this year. The midfield is the engine and ours needs juice.

We lose because of comedy defending. How many times have we seen it from a succession of poor or slow defenders. They may be great on the ball, but, it's laughable how many times the same people f... it up. (Arguably, Mendy isn't even great on the ball, and never has been since his injury.)

Last nights comedy must have been the funniest yet for the neutral - and for Liverpool fans in particular. Reminded me a little of Otamendi away at Norwich, but, it far surpassed that in the comedy stakes.

We didn't look at our best last night, but, neither did Chelsea. Hopefully, we get back on track against the toon on Sunday night.

City in full blob are still the best. But power and pace in every area is what Littlewoods have. We need a better balance of it.

I’d suggest that our style of play relies on not giving the ball away rather than pace. It’s a system that becomes high-risk when the forwards spurn chances and when the midfielders cannot get back to cover.

I advocated buying two attacking midfielders last season and was told we needed to strengthen elsewhere. Same this year. The midfield is the engine and ours needs juice.
I think we need both pace and retaining the ball in midfield. Foden will be huge next season and hopefully Bernardo will recover his world-class form. We need to replace Ferdy, perhaps with a box-to-box type but where are they? They are not easy to find.

Check the midfield pairing in all our defeats this season, its no coincidence

To just put that down to a midfield pair is unreasonable when there are 9 other players on the pitch.

There will have been many mitigating factors in those defeats and this is a team game.

It’s a very black and white way to look at it.

They are both quality players and tbh, if Pep doesn’t see it that way then I’d be inclined to trust his judgment.

But each to their own.

I think we need both pace and retaining the ball in midfield. Foden will be huge next season and hopefully Bernardo will recover his world-class form. We need to replace Ferdy, perhaps with a box-to-box type but where are they? They are not easy to find.

I always go on the basis that out of 5-6 top midfielders, at least one will be out injured/suspended at any one time, so you need to carry one extra. I thought Aouar and Ndombele last season, so maybe Aouar and an other this year. At just 20, Foden is still very young and inexperienced, which is why we should be looking for players who are 22-25.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.