Running thread

4th mate, done Manchester twice before and New York last year. Would have added Cyprus and my Ironman marathon to it but for this lockdown, 3:57 is my best, want under 3:45 this time.
New York sounds good.

I did Manchester marathon in 2013 in a time of 3:10 to qualify for London 2014 through good for age. London was a bit of a disaster though as I got injured in the first 2 miles and limped round in 4:30. City lost at Anfield 3-2 in the afternoon for a bad day all round.

The key marathon training for me was numerous long runs well over 2 hours on water only. Forget the gels until nearly 3 hours........

Total respect for the iron men....

New York sounds good.

I did Manchester marathon in 2013 in a time of 3:10 to qualify for London 2014 through good for age. London was a bit of a disaster though as I got injured in the first 2 miles and limped round in 4:30. City lost at Anfield 3-2 in the afternoon for a bad day all round.

The key marathon training for me was numerous long runs well over 2 hours on water only. Forget the gels until nearly 3 hours........

Total respect for the iron men....
Don’t have any food and only water for a half marathon then start on the odd gel after that.

I have to disagree a bit. The advice is always to start fuelling early in a marathon. It takes time to digest the carbs you're taking in - be it gels, bars, drinks, whatever... The idea by fuelling early (i.e. before you feel you need to) is that you push back the wall.

Your liver and muscles can store enough glycogen to keep you going at intense effort for in the region of 90 minutes. You can extend this by fuelling regularly. If you watch the elite runners they typically take on about 60g carbs every hour, often in the form of a small amount of fuel every 15 minutes (depending on the athlete). This is why they can keep going at their ridiculous paces for the whole race without slowing down.

EDIT: Sorry, just re-read the above two posts (but actually paid attention this time). To be clear, I'm talking about actual races here; I do agree that training without fuel is an effective strategy.

Took some advice people offered on here on my run today and slowed right down / ran longer. Ran 10km in 52 mins instead of my usual 46-47 and really enjoyed it.

Normally I’m out of breath / breathing through my mouth the whole time and not taking time to enjoy being outside. It was really nice not to be pushing so hard today :)

Took some advice people offered on here on my run today and slowed right down / ran longer. Ran 10km in 52 mins instead of my usual 46-47 and really enjoyed it.

Normally I’m out of breath / breathing through my mouth the whole time and not taking time to enjoy being outside. It was really nice not to be pushing so hard today :)
Thanks to the advice on this thread I have also slowed my runs down and it’s made the runs pleasant. I’ve just done a half marathon distance in 2 hours 10 (normally around 1 hour 50) and still had plenty of gas in the tank. It’s great taking in the scenery. Got drenched mind you but don’t mind the rain it’s the wind which was a b*****d . Managed to keep in Heart Rate zones 2 and 3 apart from the last Mile where I went for a sprint finish

Thanks to the advice on this thread I have also slowed my runs down and it’s made the runs pleasant. I’ve just done a half marathon distance in 2 hours 10 (normally around 1 hour 50) and still had plenty of gas in the tank. It’s great taking in the scenery. Got drenched mind you but don’t mind the rain it’s the wind which was a b*****d . Managed to keep in Heart Rate zones 2 and 3 apart from the last Mile where I went for a sprint finish

Yes you’re right. it’s just really nice to enjoy being out and exercising without looking at the watch / breathing heavily throughout! Normally my heart rate averages out about 162 - today it was 142. Thankfully I missed the rain though :) (wind was a bastard though!)

Really enjoy reading the posts on this thread, genuinely. Especially as above @brooklandsblue2.0 and @Pezzer2 commenting that they're actually enjoying their exercise and NOT making the whole thing a slog. I like reading them because I can relate to it. It's not the actual run I enjoy but the fresh air, the music, the scenery, and the feeling when it's done, so no need to try and detract from that and end up too focused on breathing that it becomes unenjoyable.

Done my first ever 10k (6m) today, well 9.7k much to my dissapointment when I checked my app lol. 43mins 21secs. Average pace of 7mins 11secs per mile. Gusty winds and heavy rain actually helped rather than hindered.

So I went for a 5-8k run today, wasn't quite sure on distance. It was a more relaxed run that what I am generally used to and I enjoyed my usual 12k. As I was feeling 'in the zone' i decided to go the other way down the cycle track (I live next to the Clyde in Glasgow) and clocked up 21k on exactly the 2 hour mark. A notification came up on my smartwatch about the 21k so I accidentally double clicked it and ended my run. 30 metres short of the half marathon distance... so it didn't record as my first half marathon. What made it worse is that I still had 2k to go! All in all, 23k in 2 hours 10 minutes. And no little congratulatory badge from my fucking smartwatch. Bastard. Legs are feeling it though but generally it felt great and there was plenty of positive thinking time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.