Holiday advice

Email just through from Easyjet cancelling my flight - Belfast to Dubrovnik 8th July - 15 days out as per they obligation. Disappointing as i would i loved the break.

I wonder if its a sign that some Air Bridges wont happen UK -> Croatia this week.

There will be some cancellations for that and some due to planes being empty and not commercially viable to fly.

The holiday companies are making it sound like everyone is rushing to book holidays with statements like bookings are 80% up on this time last week. Sounds good but bookings last week were probably really low so 80% up on that is still really low.

I had a look at Jet2 earlier and on some days in August they have 750 free child places from Manchester alone. That is unheard of for summer holidays.

I think it will be a while before a lot of people venture back on a plane.

Anyone getting anywhere with our Michael. The daughter booked with On the beach and they immediately refunded the accommodation but are still waiting for the cad to refund. OTB said they have specifically asked for cash refunds for their clients but nothing as yet 5 weeks since the holiday ended. No chance of a section 75 so three options appear viable. Wait for him to come good which could take until the Covid debacle is over. Attempt a claim on the Atol and wondering if anyone has gone down this route, or consider court action through the small claims track. These are unprecedented times but the geezer is holding onto an awful lot of Wonga unlawfully and should play the game nicely. If he put out a statement to the effect of a 12 weeks turnaround then that could be deemed acceptable, but to just say you'll all get your money when this is over doesn't sit right.

Last edited:
If she booked with a travel agent isn’t it them who should refund her and them you would pursue?

There will be some cancellations for that and some due to planes being empty and not commercially viable to fly.

The holiday companies are making it sound like everyone is rushing to book holidays with statements like bookings are 80% up on this time last week. Sounds good but bookings last week were probably really low so 80% up on that is still really low.

I had a look at Jet2 earlier and on some days in August they have 750 free child places from Manchester alone. That is unheard of for summer holidays.

I think it will be a while before a lot of people venture back on a plane.

You are right 80% increase of 5% the week before is 9%.

Got round to processing my refund with EasyJet tonight and I counted 5 times in the app they tried to direct me to a voucher or flight change. It was so hidden! £200 back will be nice.

Plus it doesn’t look like Croatia will be announced Monday by Govt. so going to go to Asia later in the year. Need to wait for my return refund though as it was a different booking. Slight chance it could fly but slim change for July. So £499 back.

The Greek hotel we holiday each year has just emailed informing us of it's decision to close permanently for the 2020 season, it's a reasonably sized unit with 120 rooms. Like all Greek communities it's pretty closely linked, wondering if others will follow suit.
Maybe not close but what facilities will be open? Is swimming in hotel pools allowed? What about entertainment in the evenings? Are bars allowed to have artists on?

If she booked with a travel agent isn’t it them who should refund her and them you would pursue?

She paid around £600 for the flights. I was under the impression OTB and Love Holidays etc were just acting as agents and organisers for the suppliers hence the lack of a part 75 protection. Their terms and conditions state...

As an agent we accept no responsibility for the acts or omissions of the Supplier/Principal or for the Travel Arrangements provided by the Supplier/Principal, unless we have sold those Travel Arrangements in such a way as to create a Multi-Contract Package (please see clause 2 for further information), in which case we will accept responsibility for those Travel Arrangements in accordance with Section B of these Booking Conditions.

2. Multi-Contract Package Bookings
Where your booking is for a Multi-Contract Package, as defined below, we will act as a “Package Organiser” and you will receive the rights and benefits under the Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018 (“PTRs”), as outlined in Section B of these Booking Conditions.

A “Multi-Contract Package” exists if you book a combination of at least two different types of the following individual travel services, for the purpose of the same trip or holiday:

1. transport; or
  2. accommodation; or
  3. rental of cars, motor vehicles or motorcycles (in certain circumstances); and
  4. any other tourist service not intrinsically part of one of the above travel services, provided that those travel services are purchased together from a single visit to our website and selected by you before you agree to pay; or are advertised, sold or charged at an inclusive or total price; or advertised or sold under the term “package” or a similar term.
This is called a Multi-Contract Package as you still have contracts with each of the individual Supplier/Principals providing the Travel Arrangements, however we, On the Beach Limited, will accept responsibility for this booking as a Package Organiser.

So although they are effectively trying to obtain cash refunds from Michael is it legally there fault if they are unsuccessful considering their terms and conditions above. Maybe the powers of ATOL which we all effectively pay for will have the teeth it promotes and she could consider a claim through them. A small track claim would probably take longer than Ryanair paying out. I know one thing and that is as a consumer we all have the power of choice in determining our future suppliers. I shall be adding Michael's gang to our "we wont be using you anytime ever in the future" list along with Curry's the RAC and a few others that spring to mind. I find the man to be condescending towards his customer base and if not condescending then most certainly Leary.

I would say she is not desperate for the refund but that is not the issue. It's more the principle that he can say you will get your money back when all this is over. Unprecedented times why yes, but there is still a game to play here and it should be played in a gentlemanly fashion. What about the poor folk that are relying on these refunds that have struggled throughout Covid ?

I’d be blacklisting OTB and Love Holidays if they are structuring themselves in such a way as to remove the usual liabilities they would incur as a travel agent.
If she bought two of the things on that list from one supplier ie flight and holiday, her contract is with them and it is their responsibility to refund her.
But if she effectively bought flights separately under the terms above then they are not covered by ATOL, ever.
Check your ATOL certificate, it clearly states who you’ve bought and who is responsible.
I still maintain her contract was with the travel agent and it is they who should refund.
The fact they are struggling to get their money back off Ryanair is their lookout and not your daughter’s problem.

edit
Most of the above is irrelevant.
I didn’t realise On The Beach were shysters.
See
https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/arti...dog-sheds-light-on-consumer-package-confusion

Last edited:
Anyone getting anywhere with our Michael. The daughter booked with On the beach and they immediately refunded the accommodation but are still waiting for the cad to refund. OTB said they have specifically asked for cash refunds for their clients but nothing as yet 5 weeks since the holiday ended. No chance of a section 75 so three options appear viable. Wait for him to come good which could take until the Covid debacle is over. Attempt a claim on the Atol and wondering if anyone has gone down this route, or consider court action through the small claims track. These are unprecedented times but the geezer is holding onto an awful lot of Wonga unlawfully and should play the game nicely. If he put out a statement to the effect of a 12 weeks turnaround then that could be deemed acceptable, but to just say you'll all get your money when this is over doesn't sit right.
April mine was cancelled and I did a charge back with my credit card, still waiting, I will be ringing today to force them to refund my cash now as theyve had 8 weeks now.

Should be in Paphos right now!
Had Benidorm weekend cancelled back in March
Lanzarote Xmas and new should be ok

All refunded tbf to Jet2 and the cc company
Just took a punt on a week in Kefalonia at the end of August for a week
Anyone been to Skala?

Can't afford another got 6 booked! Confident we will be ok in August for greece less so for Vegas in September.
I think the quote 'What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas' might be rather apt, looking at their current numbers.

Unless trump actually decides to rub his 2 brain cells together, I can't see Europe/UK flying to the US until April - 3 months of Biden with science led anti-Covid measures.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.