Finding a job for a deaf person

I was born deaf and remained so until I was three. An operation sorted it a little but I retain problems with blocked ears and tinnitus to the day. I struggle where there’s a loud juke box in a pub. Someone once pushed me out of the way because he thought I was ignoring him when he’d asked to get past. I simply couldn’t hear. Having an invisible disability is deeply frustrating.

Writing a few weeks on

Struggling to find anything suitable

Given that the main type of work she is qualified to do is admin/computer work, she could do this WFH. She is limited by the requirement of any job to communicate face-to-face or via telephone

Have checked local NHS trusts, but no suitable jobs. She has some experience in accounts (accounting technician)

May not be suitable but many years ago when I was at college/uni I worked at McDonald's with a lad who was completely deaf and couldn't speak a word.
He was the best person in the kitchen that ever worked there. Obviously couldn't be customer facing.
Could be worth a try?

My brother in laws partners son is deaf and is a teacher in a school for deaf kids. Not sure how he went about this but can ask if it comes in useful

it's criminal that a university qualified lass in a first world country can't get paid employment, so much for equality. I wish you both the best of luck

Bumping this up - been over 2 years. She has done some unpaid work placements in this time.

However, (and yes, timing couldn't be any worse) any help again would be appreciated, Part time work up to 16 hr/week would be ideal, and if there is anything she might be do WFH, please post

Thanks

Have a look at Virgin Media mate, my colleague is deaf and has a hearing aid some weeks he gets an infection and loses it completely. We have had blind people with guide dogs work with us before. They are very accommodating not sure what roles are going right now as I've been working from home for 3 months but hope it helps.

I wear two hearing aids had them since I was 4 or 5 years old. Something I used to be incredibly conscious of growing up but gotten better with as I got older.

Luckily it's not affected me too much but at times it can be a ****, announcement of sudden station changes on a train are a nightmare as is certain things like plays or cinema. The new mask wearing is a killer for those of us who rely on lip reading.

In relation to your friend would she be interested in university or college admin roles? I know places in central, south west and north london looking? This is a sector that often can be quite inclusive for people with disabilities.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.