Wine

My gf has been in Laithwates wine club for years. She buys a case of a dozen bottles which work out similar to the price of a decent supermarket wine per bottle. Difference is Laithwates source their wines from small independent vineyards that grow organic grapes without adding extra sulphites in winemaking to preserve shelf life as mass produced winemakers do. She says many supermarket give her headaches. I wouldn't know the difference but she does.

I get my wine from Laithewaites too. I love it when their catalogue arrives and I really enjoy reading through the descriptions of the various wines but only drink "black reds". The good thing about buying a case is that you get a few bottles of what you know you like but can select a few you've never had before just to try. My favourites are the old vine Cabalié and a Prmitivo called Pillastro but their Portuguese wines are also exceptional.

I also have an app on my phone called Vivino which enables you to photograph a label and it will then tell you all about the wine including drinker ratings and the price. Useful in restaurants providing you don't mind knowing how much they have added onto the cost of the bottle.

Can't be doing with any red tried lots & lots and have mates who swear by it and know what to buy etc.

Give me a decent quality dry white and I'm happy really expensive stuff is wasted on me.

A white Rjoca from Lidl at £5.50 is exceptional value. I always have a couple in the fridge along with some Retsina.

Red. All day long. Usually Cab Sauv in part or full, with Bordeaux almost invariably providing the best of the best, obvs. There’s a very good reason why they are usually the most expensive item on any decent wine list.

Doubt I drink more than a couple of bottles of white, and a couple of glasses of rosé, a year

Big fan of this stuff. Their white Rioja is nice too.
CAMPO.jpg

Red. All day long. Usually Cab Sauv in part or full, with Bordeaux almost invariably providing the best of the best, obvs. There’s a very good reason why they are usually the most expensive item on any decent wine list.

Doubt I drink more than a couple of bottles of white, and a couple of glasses of rosé, a year
That explains an awful lot.

;-)

A friend of mine used to get headaches from wine drinking but you can buy these drops that you can add to the wine and hey presto no headaches, I think the drops deactivate the sulphates, just a heads up about that.
My rule of thumb is to drink a bottle of red, fill the bottle and then drink the same amount of water. No dehydration = no hangover.
Works every time.

My rule of thumb is to drink a bottle of red, fill the bottle and then drink the same amount of water. No dehydration = no hangover.
Works every time.
I don’t think he’s referring to a hangover, a lot of people have bad reactions to the sulphites (stabilisers) in mass produced wine.

Though the suggestion to drink 1:1 for alcohol:water is a good one

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.