Speed awareness course

Anyone tried contesting the speeding charge.

Just got done doing 60 on the smart section of motorway when gantry had 50 displayed on an empty motorway.

I'm a fairly sedate driver these days, I never have to deal with traffic so no reason to get wound up and drive like an idiot, however in my youth I was a fucking idiot. Got into big Kawasaki's and often wonder to this day how I survived, too many tales to tell

Anyone tried contesting the speeding charge.

Just got done doing 60 on the smart section of motorway when gantry had 50 displayed on an empty motorway.
If you were doing 60 and 50 was in a red circle, don’t bother. An ‘empty motorway’ won’t cut it. As you were doing 60 you might well get offered a speed awareness course, if you’ve not been on one in the last 3 years. If offered it, take it as you’ll be avoiding a big hike in your insurance and up to 6 penalty points.

I take it they don't have deer in Germany. All it takes is a but of roadkill and its game over. Actually had a cousin who crashed on the Autobahn and burned to death inside the car. The harsh reality of driving like this.

Think I read the design of the autobahn results in less collisions but higher fatality rate.

I passed my test in 1974. so my Highway Code is still in Latin. I've just checked on t'interweb, and the stopping distances appear to be the same as they were then. This is despite the fact that, when the Highway Code was introduced, most cars had drum brakes and ran on cross ply tyres. Since then, most cars have a servo assisted braking system on disc brakes, with radial tyres, and also ABS, EBD, etc. Tyre technology has also improved dramatically over that time.
I still remember the breaking distances, 75 - 315 feet, but that bears no resemblance to reality these days.
What this has to do with speeding courses is, at best, tenuous, but with modern technology, it's never been so easy to slow down and stay within the speed limit. :-)
Modern tech' is probably one of the reasons most people speed. No noise, juddering, bouncing, engine strain etc whilst sat in a heated armchair listening to the 12 speaker sound system.

The last speed awareness I went on was run by a woman who appeared a bit mental. She also said she once "let her husband drive" on a road trip and during the whole journey she helpfully pointed out his driving mistakes.

The room, full of mainly middle aged men, sat agog.

The only thing I learnt was to never upset a middle aged woman in a room full of men by pointing out that the stopping distances were out of date.
no one likes a smart arse.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.