Cycling Advice

Going Sunday to Sale at 4pm, will try to do at least a mile and a half...
Brilliant, Iḿ there at 2pm. Did just over 30 miles on the bike today. Crawled round. So hot, plus big swim yesterday took its toll. But the heat, man it was hot. Enjoy your swim bud.

29 miles this evening between 5-7 o’clock, bloody boiling and went through almost 2 litres of drink plus a protein shake.
Went through Heywood and up the hill in Ashy Valley!! Some climb that one, one lad who was already there fell over twice as I was riding up behind him lol, steep isn’t the word!!
Used to enjoy descending Ashworth Valley. Would ride up Holcombe Hill / The rake then cross over and do Owd Betts then descend - lovely descent, not such a great ascent!

I'd suggest a flat bar hybrid. You pay more for a drop bar bike and unless you know you want one you are better of with a flat bar. Between £500 - £800. Hydraulic disc brakes a minimum and you should find them no problem with that budget.
good advice.

Used to enjoy descending Ashworth Valley. Would ride up Holcombe Hill / The rake then cross over and do Owd Betts then descend - lovely descent, not such a great ascent!
Yes I’ve risen up that way too. Tour De Manc is going ahead in September now, confirmed yesterday, was due to do the 125 but that’s been postponed so on the 100 instead, some climbs on that!!

I’m thinking of getting a bike. Not cycled since my mid/late teens but with current situation I think it’s more attractive than the metro. I’m relatively fit as I run regularly. Want something that will allow me to cycle from Sale to Mcr once or twice a week along the canal towpath. (About 8.5 km : 5 ish miles). How much should I be looking to pay / what sort of bike?
I agree with @Gaudion M on the flat bar hybrid. It just depends what you want to spend. You can pick up a half decent one for £300. For that, you'll get a fairly light aluminium frame with a basic groupset, and standard ally wheels with v-brakes or mechanical disk brakes at a push. Perfectly functional, but nothing fancy. Double your money, and you are well on the way to a decent bike.

Brilliant, Iḿ there at 2pm. Did just over 30 miles on the bike today. Crawled round. So hot, plus big swim yesterday took its toll. But the heat, man it was hot. Enjoy your swim bud.
Did 2 loops mate, struggled first loop, been a good few months, was ok 2nd. Tougher than I remembered and the weather didn’t help.

All in all a good days training though..

21 mile bike
5k run
900 metre swum

Mini Tri completed.

Last edited:
Did 2 loops mate, struggled first loop, been a good few months, was ok 2nd. Tougher than I remembered and the weather didn’t help.

All in all a good days training though..

21 mile bike
5k run
900 metre swum

Mini Tri completed.
I managed 7 loops in 1hr 20mins. Water was pretty warm 'bout 20 degrees, but it was raining and windy. I can never fully get into a relaxed state in the lake, forever pondering just what the fuck is underneath me! The reeds were shocking last Thursday - kept bumping into something every few yards! Did 31 miles on the bike Saturday but the only running you'll ever see me doing is to the off-licence.

Did 36 miles down the Middlewood way to Macc on Sat from Reddish then 24 miles out to Urmston/Carrington yesterday, think I preferred the hot weather to rain.

Ventured out late on bike this evening, soon ventured back. Biblical rain. Booked in for a swim tomorrow, hoping to do 8 "loops" of the lake. Tomorrow would have been first real shake-up for maillot jaune in the tour. Really hope it goes ahead in August.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.