Running thread

Really enjoy reading the posts on this thread, genuinely. Especially as above @brooklandsblue2.0 and @Pezzer2 It's not the actual run I enjoy but the fresh air, the music, the scenery, and the feeling when it's done

You will certainly have that in abundance. And that is some time to clock a 9.7k in! Out of interest, what age are you?

how on earth do I keep my heart rate down? I tried last week, I added a minute p/m to my normal time and yet my heart rate was around 150/160, its normally 170/180 during a 10k/half marathon

I know people are at different physical shape. But 2 years ago I was an overweight person. I'd describe myself as a getting a bit of a belly and a few chubby bits around the hips/moobs and chin area. BMI said only on the edge of overweight but still not great. Before running I was 14 stone. Dropped a stone in no time which was a nice surprise. And then I had eyes on getting healthy (diet was not bad to be honest) and saw weight go into low 12's. I've now dropped to 11st 2lb. Which is almost 3 stone is 2 years. Now running 15k a week regulary and it seems to knocking 2-3 lbs off every fortnight. Is that normal? The median BMI for my age/weight seems to suggest 10st 8lb is perfect. Does it suggest I should eat more? Or if I feel good just let the weight drop further?

Went for a hike today, fancied a change, drive to the lakes and walked Old man of Coniston, only got up to Levers water as the weather horrendous and was deteriorating quickly. Still did a 4.5 mile hike and enjoyed it, will get to the top next time.
You didn’t miss anything with running in Heaton, it was fucking hammering it down the whole way round. Very nearly had the steeplechase puddle at the start, lol.

how on earth do I keep my heart rate down? I tried last week, I added a minute p/m to my normal time and yet my heart rate was around 150/160, its normally 170/180 during a 10k/half marathon

I guess it all depends on fitness etc, but running at 150 looks quite reasonable to me; when I run at my “quicker” pace 12km/hr plus, my rate is up at 165+ for most of the 5km - if I run at my 10k pace of about 10.5km/hr my heart rate only drops to 155, but you can certainly feel the difference in comfort just from that small drop.
It used to bother me, but then I read/decided it’s more about what your resting rate is, and how quickly it takes to come down after you stop running.
(Yet go on the bike, flat out, legs and lungs on fire, and then I look back and see the rate was ‘only’ at 140...)

It's taken a good 5 weeks of running, but ive started to enjoy it again after a good fifteen year lay off.

Two 10k runs in two days, and I'm now finding a rhythm which I'd long forgotten. Target now is a sub hour 10k .

Thanks for all your support and encouragement.

It is a really great feeling when you pass the point where the runs goes from a hard slog to something you genuinely look forward to.

I use a Garmin Fenix 6S Pro with the built in running app. The picture below shows the screen I use mostly. The five Heart rate zones are warm up (grey), aerobic (blue), transition (green), anaerobic (orange) and maximum (red). I have an alert set for when I cross into the green zone, which for me is 143bpm. If I run under this, I find my running is comfortable and enjoyable.

The current heat does impact my running. I run by the Bridgewater Canal, and it can get very humid in the hot weather. This increases my heart rate, so I tend to avoid it during extreme heat.

When maintaining a low heart rate, I have not once yet felt like having to finish a run prematurely.
2742c2c6a6fc2ebbae1f27c4868c923b.jpg

Thanks Paladin for the detailed response. Will have to check on the forerunner 235 if it has the alerts as I often slip into zone 3 accidentally.

It certainly does make a difference and like you say makes running more enjoyable. Problem is I have enjoyed it so much, and with no park runs, it seems an age since I have really pushed myself.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.