Bundesliga 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't stand seeing Bayern Munich winning all the time-every year. Monopolies are killing the game & we are supposed to admire doubles, trebles etc-nightmare. We are seeing monopolies typical of rampant capitalism i.e. little or no competition against a very, very select few/elite.

Would either of you recommend Dresden for a group of 8 blokes?
Yes.
I know you both say it’s a great place but I’ve been apprehensive about the East of Germany being as welcoming to a group of English blokes as we’ve found the Rhine / Ruhr region to be.
Without being too cynical about things, if you're going anywhere to spend your money, the locals will be polite and welcoming.

Outside of Berlin, my first visit to East Germany was to Rostock. I too was apprehensive about going, just because I had (baseless) preconceptions about what "East Germany" would be like. My preconceptions were wrong, and whilst I imagine it was damaged in the war that wasn't evident, and it had baltic/scandic architecture (due to proximity) so it didn't even seem like Germany in parts. I've since been to Leipzig, Dresden and Chemnitz. None of them resembled any of my preconceptions and I didn't feel unwelcome anywhere.

Its probably a little closer to Prague than Berlin, so if you are wanting to coincide a double header, going via Prague is a decent option. My itinery from last October was;

Game in Prague on a Friday night (Bohemians) >
Got a coach to Dresden immediately after the game, hotel in Dresden >
Train to Chemnitz on Saturday morning to see them play, back to Dresden, good look around Dresden >
Sunday morning continue looking around Dresden, then watch them play at lunchtime, coach back to Prague >
Sunday evening, Prague derby Sparta v Slavia
Look round Prague on Monday, flew home in the evening.

Great trip, but you cant always guarantee the fixtures will fall as nicely.

Dresden in my opinion is almost more suited to a city break with the other half, but at the end of the day - beers, bratwurst, and football is a good combination anywhere.

Yes.

Without being too cynical about things, if you're going anywhere to spend your money, the locals will be polite and welcoming.

Outside of Berlin, my first visit to East Germany was to Rostock. I too was apprehensive about going, just because I had (baseless) preconceptions about what "East Germany" would be like. My preconceptions were wrong, and whilst I imagine it was damaged in the war that wasn't evident, and it had baltic/scandic architecture (due to proximity) so it didn't even seem like Germany in parts. I've since been to Leipzig, Dresden and Chemnitz. None of them resembled any of my preconceptions and I didn't feel unwelcome anywhere.

Its probably a little closer to Prague than Berlin, so if you are wanting to coincide a double header, going via Prague is a decent option. My itinery from last October was;

Game in Prague on a Friday night (Bohemians) >
Got a coach to Dresden immediately after the game, hotel in Dresden >
Train to Chemnitz on Saturday morning to see them play, back to Dresden, good look around Dresden >
Sunday morning continue looking around Dresden, then watch them play at lunchtime, coach back to Prague >
Sunday evening, Prague derby Sparta v Slavia
Look round Prague on Monday, flew home in the evening.

Great trip, but you cant always guarantee the fixtures will fall as nicely.

Dresden in my opinion is almost more suited to a city break with the other half, but at the end of the day - beers, bratwurst, and football is a good combination anywhere.
That's what has troubled me - my own preconceptions.

There's a plethora of options for our next trip. I have a spreadsheet on my laptop with distances to other clubs from a number of cities such as Berlin, Hamburg, Munich, Frankfurt... I'm such a geek.

We've been to Koln twice (me a third time with my son) and whilst we loved every minute, we're aware that other areas of Germany will be just as amazing. The dream is to stay somewhere miles from Koln but go in the away end to watch them.

As for your trip, it sounds amazing - however - I once went for a weekend with my mates to what I now refer to as "The 'P' word". I hadn't met my missus at the time but such was the overhang, it's still never mentioned in our house 20 years later. She doesn't bat an eyelid about me going to Germany but stepping foot over that particular border wouldn't be good for my wellbeing when I returned home. I'm sure we'll meet one day and I'll tell you more.

That's what has troubled me - my own preconceptions.

There's a plethora of options for our next trip. I have a spreadsheet on my laptop with distances to other clubs from a number of cities such as Berlin, Hamburg, Munich, Frankfurt... I'm such a geek.

We've been to Koln twice (me a third time with my son) and whilst we loved every minute, we're aware that other areas of Germany will be just as amazing. The dream is to stay somewhere miles from Koln but go in the away end to watch them.

As for your trip, it sounds amazing - however - I once went for a weekend with my mates to what I now refer to as "The 'P' word". I hadn't met my missus at the time but such was the overhang, it's still never mentioned in our house 20 years later. She doesn't bat an eyelid about me going to Germany but stepping foot over that particular border wouldn't be good for my wellbeing when I returned home. I'm sure we'll meet one day and I'll tell you more.
I think I can get the gist. It was unplanned, but my boss was on a stag do in Prague that weekend so joined him and the group he was with on the Sunday night. I hadn't been on the lash the whole day though so was in a better state and witnessed some pretty compromising things. Its not been discussed since but my appraisal a few months later went very well.

I imagine Köln away end tickets are very hard to come by, especially 8 of them. I think you've got a better chance going in the home end sat next to the away end. As you may be aware, they're generally ok with away fans sitting there and wearing colours, cheering etc.

For a group of blokes, Hamburg is a good option, and I'd reccommend Bremen too. Munich is good but tickets will be hard to come by if you want to see Bayern. The ground 1860 play at is fantastic in my opinion though.

I am told Türkgücu München who have just been promoted to 3 Liga, will play most of their games at Würzburg which isn't in Munich, but will be allowed to play some games next season at the Olympiastadion. I will be trying to get to a game there.

I am told Türkgücu München who have just been promoted to 3 Liga, will play most of their games at Würzburg which isn't in Munich, but will be allowed to play some games next season at the Olympiastadion. I will be trying to get to a game there.
Partially why I am not against the idea of Ingolstadt bottling their promotion bid.

I imagine Köln away end tickets are very hard to come by, especially 8 of them. I think you've got a better chance going in the home end sat next to the away end. As you may be aware, they're generally ok with away fans sitting there and wearing colours, cheering etc.

Cologne away to Hertha Berlin springs to mind, large away allocation that won't sell out (nor will the home end).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.