UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The OJ Simpson issue was due to civil and criminal courts having a different burden of proof. He wasn't found guilty in the criminal court but he was stripped of his last dime in the civil courts for exactly the same offence.

Wouldn’t the criminal case be before the civil case?

This just me pondering things, but was thinking why there seems according to ric and tolmie, a fair amount of confidence around the club. Is it possible that we presented the irrefutable evidence, uefa accepted it and dropped the ban, but CAS still had to make a judgement on the uncooperative charge, and our defence of not trusting the confidentiality of UEFA I/C, with regards to a fine.
Obviously we can’t know but if a ban was ruled out during the hearing , due to our evidence it may explain the confidence that we will be in the champions league next season.
As I say complete speculation, guess we’ll know soon enough.
Not in my view, no.

Wouldn’t the criminal case be before the civil case?

They're 2 entirely different actions. You can take civil action without criminal charges being made or regardless of a criminal action being successful or otherwise.
I suppose the easiest analogy would be the case of a car accident where the police may or may not take action against 1 or more motorists but that action or inaction wouldn't prevent a civil claims being made. 2 different courts, 2 different burdens of proof and neither being dependent on the other (though a successful criminal prosecution would generally be very helpful to a following civil action).

The following is directly copied from the Mediapart article linked earlier. We don't get to see the actual "we can do what we want" email just the bolded bit below:

Simon Pearce, a non-executive director at Manchester City, allegedly had another idea: “We could do a backdated contract for the next two years,” worth £5m a year, which “could be paid immediately”. Essentially modifying contracts.

How would the sponsors react to this? Pearce was apparently not worried: “the ones that I have real control over are Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority (ADTA) and Aabar… We can do what we want.”

Shortly thereafter, ADTA’s sponsorship fee goes up by £5.5m, Ethiad’s fee by £1.5m and Aabar’s by £500k. Chumillas writes: “We have decided with Simon Pearce to modify the terms of certain sponsorship contracts with AD (Abu Dhabi).”

An audit that was undertaken at the demand of UEFA in 2014 concluded that the value of the contracts with Manchester City’s four Abu Dhabi sponsors, which made them €140m a year, were worth half according to market value. The sponsors don’t care, according to Mediapart, as it is Sheikh Mansour who is secretly funding them. Already in 2010, Pearce had planned for a £15m contribution from Aabar, before reassuring the firm: “We have discussed it, the yearly contribution of Aabar will be £3m. The £12m remaining will come from another source procured by His Highness.”

Anyone else thinks this makes it seem like Pearce "A non-executive director at Manchester City" (important that he is a non executive Director?) floated an idea in an email. Talking about 'a crime' and committing 'a crime' are not the same thing. And if that's what we are being dinged for, and it straight up did not happen, and all of our published accounts back that up .... isn't that just open and shut?

I don't know, maybe I'm just an uninformed optimist.

tenor.gif

I don't believe we have "irrefutable" evidence. Almost all evidence is refutable. Civil cases are decided by weighing both parties' evidence.

Understand that. Which is why I said insert whichever word you would like.

Would you say we had strong evidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.