Unions

That's down to the engineers not the unions.

If we got rid of the unions train journeys would be cheaper.
how do you figure that out?
the TOCS and the government decide the fair increases and have literally nothing to do with the unions.

Heath treated the Unions with far more respect than Thatcher ever did. Perhaps if the Unions had reciprocated a little more, Thatcherism wouldn’t have happened.
He opened the door for wage increases with his stupidity. He may have been trying to treat the unions fairly, but he was a daft ****.

Interesting that a lot of the latest covid outbreaks seem to be linked to factories that stayed open when they shouldn't have done, where workers are saying they're being to forced to go in sick and where social distancing has been ignored. We're seeing it at meat plants in Germany and The States and similar stories coming factories in a Leicester. Perhaps if more of us were properly unionised and able to push back against unscrupulous bosses like this we'd have been a lot better prepared to deal with a crisis like this. Lots of people have spent too much time whinging about outdoor protests rather than talking about where the real problem is.

Most likely a lot of those workers were agency. Its how businesses beat the unions.
Place my friend works at there are only 5 full timers on each shift with around 40 agency workers per shift, on zero hour contracts, often told where the gate is if they raise any issues in regards to h&s, conditions etc​

no you wouldnt.
the TOCS and FOCS want more for their money and would have people doing unsafe stuff to do it quicker and more cheaply.
if a member of staff said no im not doing it as it not safe and had no union to back him up he would simply be sacked.
the unions are there to make sure the railway is safe for its workers and customers.
its a pretty simple fact really and i dont know why you cant get your head round it.
Trains can drive themselves and ticketing is automated. Every train crash in this country has involved an overpaid human driver FACT. Probably a fucking union member too

I'm not saying that unions don't have a role in protecting workers' rights, trouble is some of them take it to the extreme.
We used to manufacture 4 car brands in Australia including Ford Mitsubishi Toyota and Holden GM, now we manufacture none, primary reasons is that Australian employees are the most expensive in the world, not only do we get 4 weeks annual leave plus 10 days statutory leave we also get 10 weeks long service leave every 10 years and we actually get leave loading so higher pay when we are on holiday... this is all come about by union pressure over the years.
Australian wages are amongst the highest in the world including a minimum wage of about $20 an hour.
Unions have done a great job getting all these benefits for workers manufacturing is getting less & Less.
I'm not saying that unions don't have a role in protecting workers' rights, trouble is some of them take it to the extreme.
We used to manufacture 4 car brands in Australia including Ford Mitsubishi Toyota and Holden GM, now we manufacture none, primary reasons is that Australian employees are the most expensive in the world, not only do we get 4 weeks annual leave plus 10 days statutory leave we also get 10 weeks long service leave every 10 years and we actually get leave loading so higher pay when we are on holiday... this is all come about by union pressure over the years.
Australian wages are amongst the highest in the world including a minimum wage of about $20 an hour.
Unions have done a great job getting all these benefits for workers manufacturing is getting less & Less.

Brilliant... I think you've just answered a question that has been niggling me for years. Could never understand how Oz sucked in imports yet basically didn't export much other than beef and ore. I also realise that it is on the other side of the world so exporting would cost but I dont know of one thing that is ' Made in Australia ' and the talk of a high standard of living left me wondering....How the hell.....Surely the country must be up to it's eyeballs in debt.

Brilliant... I think you've just answered a question that has been niggling me for years. Could never understand how Oz sucked in imports yet basically didn't export much other than beef and ore. I also realise that it is on the other side of the world so exporting would cost but I dont know of one thing that is ' Made in Australia ' and the talk of a high standard of living left me wondering....How the hell.....Surely the country must be up to it's eyeballs in debt.
Here ya go...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_exports_of_Australia

Coal, gas, education and wine are big earners, as well as beef, lamb...the biggest is iron ore.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.