Deal agreed with Bayern Munich for Leroy Sane - €60m (including add-ons)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sane more inconsistent than Mahrez? I am not having that. It has taken Mahrez 18 months to find any semblance of consistency. Even now, he goes from the sublime to the ridiculous within the same game.

Sane is a better player than Mahrez (and Sterling). We are a better team with Sane in the side. Sane is younger and has many more years before reaching his peak.
Need to read what I put again. Wasn't comparing Sane v Mahrez, simply saying Sane's inconsistency would not have the positive effect being claimed

Fingers crossed he passes his Medical.

Those Knee ligament injuries can be really complicated.

Not wishing him any harm.But he could still suffer further complications as it gets more and more tested.

Paul Lake springs to mind.

And Mendy.

Mendy has looked anything but the player we signed since his injury.

Need to read what I put again. Wasn't comparing Sane v Mahrez, simply saying Sane's inconsistency would not have the positive effect being claimed

If Sane was in the side all season do we win the league? No, I don't believe we do. The problems of not replacing Vinny and Laporte missing the majority of the season put an end to our title hopes. However, I do believe we would have been closer to Liverpool and I also believe we would have been a lot less predictable (wingers get the ball, cut inside yada yada), more dynamic and if nothing else... a much more exciting team to watch.

No we paid Raz what we had to because there would have been an endless number of clubs willing to pay him that and more. Likewise with Sane. There would be 15 clubs willing to pay him 300k plus and we tried to pay him 170k.

Tribalism and club defending can only get you so far. I actually think our wage bill and structure is ok and we’ve done well in the main to keep our best players but this one hasn’t been dealt with well.

I think Sane is more complex, having won YPOTY in 2018 he didn’t make the Germany squad for the World Cup, not playing in Germany was one of the reasons mooted and when the murmurs from Munich started.

So while many clubs would have paid him the same as Raz, only one of those is in Germany and would ‘guarantee’ his international place. The injury scuppered any chance of creating a bidding war, although Euros being postponed until next year possibly strengthened our hand now as he needs to be playing to get chosen for that.

I think Sane is more complex, having won YPOTY in 2018 he didn’t make the Germany squad for the World Cup, not playing in Germany was one of the reasons mooted and when the murmurs from Munich started.

So while many clubs would have paid him the same as Raz, only one of those is in Germany and would ‘guarantee’ his international place. The injury scuppered any chance of creating a bidding war, although Euros being postponed until next year possibly strengthened our hand now as he needs to be playing to get chosen for that.

Good points to be fair.

Sane is a very good player with the potential to be very special - and we’ve seen it in glimpses. It looks very much like money is a factor in this and if I’m honest - whilst I’m deeply disappointed that he’s off - based on his City career to date I really don’t see him in the £300k per week bracket - not yet anyway. To be at that level you need to be consistently at your game and whilst Sane is young there were too many times when you could see in the first 10 mins of a game that he didn’t fancy it and Pep would react as he should and eventually would haul him off.

Nationality may play a part too - we were willing to push Sterling’s wages up to crazy levels because he was homegrown - and good for the brand. Bayern are obviously prepared to do the same and think Sane will become a major part of both their success and the German National Team.

More generally, I’m pleased it’s resolved and he can move on and deep down I’m pleased that money was certainly a factor !

I wish Leroy well. He did a great job for us. I don't have a problem with his decision nor do I begrudge him the money. I hope he gets a good reception when he comes back to City. He has played a part in our history, just like Carlos Tevez and Balotelli did. I also think that, given his injury and the length of time left on his contract, we have got a decent price for him. Time to move on.

All the people saying ‘just pay him the £300k a week’ or ‘we should have guaranteed him a starting position’ I wonder what your view would have been when he continued to have those games where he strolls about, doesn’t track back and doesn’t offer anything offensively or defensively?

Because at 24 and with a €60m price tag, he needs to perform consistently and right now for Bayern. They, like City, won’t tolerate 9/10s one game and 4/10s the next.

He’s done well for us, Bayern have a good player with the potential to be great, €60m with 12 months left on his deal (plus ACL risk) is a great price for City, he gets to go home. We’re all winners in this.

A shame really but it was always inevitable the moment that arse left him out of the Germany squad despite him being the best winger in the prem at the time.

If he is fully recovered he will be a world class player, much to our loss.

German rag ****s

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.