Running thread

I remember DAT's...used to record music on them. I have fond memories. Utterly great quality to master onto.

Huge kudos for that mate - that really takes some doing and motivation. Do you eat a fair bit to keep the energy going?
Are you on strava BTW?

Yes, on Strava - my daily runs are more tedious than my music choices! but inbox me your name and i'll add ya

I don't eat that much to be honest, if i'm doing a 10+ mile run then i'd have a big breakfast , that's about it

Yes, on Strava - my daily runs are more tedious than my music choices! but inbox me your name and i'll add ya

I don't eat that much to be honest, if i'm doing a 10+ mile run then i'd have a big breakfast , that's about it

Will do mate. Interesting to see how much/litle people eat before a run. I don't eat much either but sometimes I feel what they call the 'bonk' in cycling, especially early morning runs/park runs.

Cheers for all the advice, will give that a go over the next 3/4 weeks and see if it helps with my 5k times. Thanks again. Enjoy your running everyone!

Not really contributed to this thread but dip in and out every now and again. Didn't really run that much across 2019 but got back into it once lockdown kicked in. A friend of mine is a keen tri-athlete and he has been giving me a few tips on running faster/longer distances. Basically, most people just go out and run without a plan, which is good but you will never improve. I'm 50 but pretty fit and 83kg. These are a few of the tips he gave me: -

• To run faster, you have to find your max. tolerance over shorter runs and build up.
  • To run longer without hitting the wall, the key is managing your heart rate - all to do with tricking your body to run off fat reserves rather than glycogen reserves.
Sprint Interval 1
  • 5-10 minute warm up
  • 1-minute at maximum pace c.4:20-4:30 km/min pace
  • 1-minute recovery at c. 5-min/km pace
  • 10 reps
  • warm down 5-10 minutes
  • increase by 1 rep per week up to 20
Sprint Interval 2
  • 5-10 minute warm up
  • 1km at same pace as above
  • 500m @ recovery pace
  • 4 reps
  • 5-10 mins warm down
  • Increase reps as you feel more comfortable
Don't do the sprint intervals on consecutive days - at least 2 days apart. If you're only looking to 5k-10k runs perhaps slot in 1 or 2 slower paced 3-4 mile runs per week.

Long Runs
  • Try running slower and keeping your HR between 70%-80%
  • Increase distance gradually but no more than 15-20% per week
I've been a sub 2-hr half marathon runner (9-min pace) previously and 55-60 min 10k pace. Since following the above, I've improved massively - 9 miles at the weekend at 8:16 min/mile; 5k below 23 min; 10k below 50 mins and managed a sub 7 min mile on my last run. I'm aiming for a sub 1:50 training HM and 1:45 race time if we ever get any races this year.

Hope this helps.

Will do mate. Interesting to see how much/litle people eat before a run. I don't eat much either but sometimes I feel what they call the 'bonk' in cycling, especially early morning runs/park runs.
I prefer running in the morning after breakfast of porridge, coffee and water and about 40 minutes to digest.

A good principle is to eat foods low in glycemic index as much as possible and avoid foods high in GI. Eat carbohydrates before and protein after running or exercise.

I

I prefer running in the morning after breakfast of porridge, coffee and water and about 40 minutes to digest.

A good principle is to eat foods low in glycemic index as much as possible and avoid foods high in GI. Eat carbohydrates before and protein after running or exercise.

I

Can you provide a rough idea of glycemic and GI foods?
I’ll look into it in the meantime.

I tend to only have porridge & bananas most mornings. Gives me energy thoughout the morning (with or without running).

thanks!

Can you provide a rough idea of glycemic and GI foods?
I’ll look into it in the meantime.

I tend to only have porridge & bananas most mornings. Gives me energy thoughout the morning (with or without running).

thanks!

The glycemic index (GI) is a measurement system that ranks foods according to their effect on your blood sugar levels.

You named two above. Also, low starch veg, pulses, most fruit and nuts. Peanuts and fruit are optimum snacks instead of crisps, sweets,cakes etc

First track training session in months because of Covid. Really missed it and enjoyed being back. Would recommend a local running club to anyone of all levels.

Have toyed with that idea. The Stretford park run starts and finishes on a running track hence why many get their PB’s there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.