UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I doubt we'd have raised this point save to say that the settlement closed a dispute on both sides. IMO, our issue remains that if CAS endorses UEFA's case, it effectively says the club concealed and deceived. In that case, I just can't see how it doesn't also endorse 2 years.
Is there any correlation with say tax matters where accountants find ways round the letter of the law legally and loopholes are closed then by the Revenue?

SilverFox2. In regards to the question that you posed. If you try and evade paying your income tax that is illegal. However if you try to avoid paying for income tax that is o.k.thanks

That's why you don't have to declare your ISA interest on your tax return.

In a court I don't think you can claim that you shouldn't have been punished for something that you admitted to (which accepting the original punishment in effect did). No idea whether that would apply to CAS though.
FWIW the settlement agreement expressly stated we made no admission in respect of the breaches

"[The Settlement Agreement] specifies that MCFC did not admit to be in breach of the UEFA CL&FFPR." para 6 of https://www.tas-cas.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Award_CAS_6298_internet.pdf

Last edited:
Be interesting to hear what the Legal Beagles view on that is mate, as I see it there is a direct correlation and bearing, and, if as stated many times the case is being heard 'De Novo', then why shouldn't it.

Seems to me the kind of point you make to illustrate you had a deal, where both sides have given up rights: UEFA gave up the right to investigate further, we gave up the right to assert our innocence. To go further into how we shouldn’t have been sanctioned in the first place seems to play into UEFA’s hands, as it suggests we shouldn’t be held to the settlement agreement either.

UEFA want to move the goalposts once again. This is just like the police charging you with a crime and being punished for it. Then they are waiting for you outside Strageway's prison for you coming out. Then promptly rearrest you and charge you for the same crime.

Last edited:
I get that principle but if the same method of reporting was to be applied to all clubs and not just City then they too should be in the dock with us. Roll out the tumbrils.

Why would all other clubs be in the dock as well? Changing the toolkit was always going to affect City more than practically every other club because just before UEFA brought FFP in, we spent an absolute shit ton of money on players in 2009 and 2010 (as was our right because there was no FFP then), so as a result of those purchases and the huge increase in our wage bill we were always going to be struggling to pass the break-even test during the first monitoring period, even without UEFA moving the goalposts. However, by moving them when they did it became the difference between perhaps not being in breach and failing by a mile. Either way, because FFP was foisted upon us immediately after a period of very heavy spending, IMO there’s no real scandal in us failing FFP during that first monitoring period. Sure, I agree with @petrusha that we took the piss a bit by trying to include certain things in our revenue but on the flip side UEFA took the piss too by changing the toolkit when they did so we can call that a draw.

Personally, I doubt we'd have raised this point save to say that the settlement closed a dispute on both sides. IMO, our issue remains that if CAS endorses UEFA's case, it effectively says the club concealed and deceived. In that case, I just can't see how it doesn't also endorse 2 years.
I thought UEFA were charging us with distorting revenue and non-cooperation, and that CAS had already raised concerns about the conduct of UEFA's investigation which appeared to City fans as being a public trial played out in conjunction with media smear.

At the minimum I expect the sanction to be reduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.