Running thread

I know what you are thinking, what's this tw@t chirping up again (I agree). ;-)

Been out for the first time since about the 19th (what a lazy git).

3.18 Miles on a slightly different route - didn't really feel that I was really pushing myself as first run back for a while and did it in 25:57.

Feel pretty good and no aching (yet), should be fine for another outing tomorrow.............

My new trainers arrived (a day earlier than expected!) this morning..... I’m counting down the hours until work finishes and I can go out for a quick 5km in them.

my second pair of these - I know running trainers are subjective but these are a dream for me!

Mizuno Men's Wave Rider 23 Running Shoes

Not really contributed to this thread but dip in and out every now and again. Didn't really run that much across 2019 but got back into it once lockdown kicked in. A friend of mine is a keen tri-athlete and he has been giving me a few tips on running faster/longer distances. Basically, most people just go out and run without a plan, which is good but you will never improve. I'm 50 but pretty fit and 83kg. These are a few of the tips he gave me: -

• To run faster, you have to find your max. tolerance over shorter runs and build up.
  • To run longer without hitting the wall, the key is managing your heart rate - all to do with tricking your body to run off fat reserves rather than glycogen reserves.
Sprint Interval 1
  • 5-10 minute warm up
  • 1-minute at maximum pace c.4:20-4:30 km/min pace
  • 1-minute recovery at c. 5-min/km pace
  • 10 reps
  • warm down 5-10 minutes
  • increase by 1 rep per week up to 20
Sprint Interval 2
  • 5-10 minute warm up
  • 1km at same pace as above
  • 500m @ recovery pace
  • 4 reps
  • 5-10 mins warm down
  • Increase reps as you feel more comfortable
Don't do the sprint intervals on consecutive days - at least 2 days apart. If you're only looking to 5k-10k runs perhaps slot in 1 or 2 slower paced 3-4 mile runs per week.

Long Runs
  • Try running slower and keeping your HR between 70%-80%
  • Increase distance gradually but no more than 15-20% per week
I've been a sub 2-hr half marathon runner (9-min pace) previously and 55-60 min 10k pace. Since following the above, I've improved massively - 9 miles at the weekend at 8:16 min/mile; 5k below 23 min; 10k below 50 mins and managed a sub 7 min mile on my last run. I'm aiming for a sub 1:50 training HM and 1:45 race time if we ever get any races this year.

Hope this helps.

Cheers for the advice. I have been taking it easy this week 2 x 5 mile runs at 9mins 30 pace made the runs much more enjoyable rather than chasing a time on every run. I will up it at the weekend when I do the Warrington park run route. I will give the sprint intervals a go in the coming weeks to try and mix things up a bit.
Thanks

Strange run today. Done 8 miles at low intensity trying to keep heart rate down. Normally I would average 130bpm but I couldn’t get it under 150 today doing the same pace. Any ideas why this could be?
Needed a number 2. 3 miles from home and had to walk back . At least that got the heart rate back down

Strange run today. Done 8 miles at low intensity trying to keep heart rate down. Normally I would average 130bpm but I couldn’t get it under 150 today doing the same pace. Any ideas why this could be?
Needed a number 2. 3 miles from home and had to walk back . At least that got the heart rate back down

What is the advantage / purpose of Keelung heart rate down on longer runs? Thanks!

Strange run for me too today. Got to a field full of cows and I chickened out crossing it because my pal said he was chased by the cows there a couple if weeks back.

So I took a detour through several other fields with long wet grass without footpaths. My feet were soaked. I had to clamber over a few barbed wire fences, one by climbing up a tree then crawling along an overhanging branch and dropping into the next field. Then through some thick bracken and woods before finally locating a path 20 minutes later. I ended up doing about 7 miles instead of the planned 4. The joys of trail running.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.