Liverpool (H) | Pre-Match Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for putting the effort in to this post, I enjoyed the information presented and it’s made my Strongbow taste that little bit sharper :-)

Fucking hell Sebastian I knew you were good but not that good:-)
Ha, this is what happens when I take 9 days off work — around day 5 I just start applying my work to City.

I am also feeling better right now, which makes me optimistic for tonight and the rest of our season, thus leading to these uncharacteristically positive posts. :-)

Ha, this is what happens when I take 9 days off work — around day 5 I just start applying my work to City.

I am also feeling better right now, which makes me optimistic for tonight and the rest of our season, thus leading to these uncharacteristically positive posts. :-)
Glad that you’re in good spirits.
On wards and upwards, we still have a lot to play for this season, unlike the victims.

He has only one yellow card in the league and only 0.6 fouls per match, after playing 2,259 minutes.

For direct references, Walker has 4 yellows and 1 foul per match, after playing 1,990 minutes; Dinho has 6 yellows, two reds, and 0.9 fouls per match, after playing 2,156 minutes.

Robertson’s yellow tally should have been doubled (or tripled depending on how you count yellow to red conversion) in our match against them alone. I can think of a few other matches where he miraculously walked away without a yellow being issued (and many fairly obvious fouls not being called). And that’s not even considering Alexander-Arnold (also should have gotten *at least* a yellow against us), Fabinho, Van Dijk, et al.

That tells you everything you need to know about how they have been refereed differently to us.

I think the missus would be most displeased, but I appreciate the proposal. ;-)

Cheers — took a bloody long time to compile and write up but I thought it was worth pointing out, if for no other reason than to dispel the false narrative with which the global sport media have been attempting to bludgeon everyone.

Not sure that is an accurate translation of “at the moment” but, even so, I think you are seriously underestimating the contribution of VAR, very favourable refereeing, and opposition “gifts” / truly miraculous inability to finish great chances (often on practically open nets) in the points difference you reference.

A simple stat that is at least *partially* impacted by those influences to help support my assertion:

We have won 5 games and lost 4 games by 1 goal (League).

Liverpool have won 13 and lost 0.

Now think of what happened in our games compared to what happened in theirs.

I am not implying that we should be above them right now, by any means — we would absolutely still be behind them in the table without VAR intervention (or lack thereof), favourable refereeing, and opposition “incompetence”, as we just haven’t been as consistently good this year as the past two seasons for a few reasons.

But I think it would not be unreasonable to say we could be going in to today’s match 9 points behind, with 18 points still left to play for.

And we have been in worse positions before and won the league. And Liverpool have been in better positions and lost it... twice.

My original point stands that there isn’t much evidence they are better than us “at the moment” and my new point is that they haven’t actually be *substantially* better than us over the course of the season. They have been better, but in the same way they have been “better” for periods in previous seasons. This time they just had a lot of other things go in their favour — *arguably* more than any recent winners, including us (even considering the historic season pause for the pandemic).

They won it, nothing will change that now, and it is medicine that has to be taken for next season. But there’s no reason we have to also gargle and swallow the snake oil being sold by their PR team and the media about them being the greatest ever PL side.

I agree with all your points and they have had tremendous luck with decisions, opposition mistakes and injuries. I just wish we had been closer to them.

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Obviously your illness has not diminished your love of City and your logical argumentation skills are still top notch. Stay safe and well.

Really hope Kev starts deeper & we play Bernie & Phil for their tenacity, would like to see Phil in the hole without too much defensive responsibility, if Jesus can occupy both centre half’s, I can see plenty of space for him to get early shots off

Glad that you’re in good spirits.
On wards and upwards, we still have a lot to play for this season, unlike the victims.
Absolutely — hopefully two more pieces of silverware, which would include knocking them off one of the ‘continental’ throne to return it to Manchester. :-)

I agree with all your points and they have had tremendous luck with decisions, opposition mistakes and injuries. I just wish we had been closer to them.
I think we were, mate — the table does not and will not tell the full story.

But I know we’ll use what happened this year to fuel our efforts next season.

We’re still the dominant club in England and We have every reason to believe we aren’t going to relinquish that position any time soon.

And, as referenced above, we may finally be the dominant team in Europe soon enough.
Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Obviously your illness has not diminished your love of City and your logical argumentation skills are still top notch. Stay safe and well.
Cheers — almost nothing could diminish my love for our wonderful club.

If anything, recent events (personal and otherwise) have strengthened my appreciation.

Absolutely — hopefully two more pieces of silverware, which would include knocking them off one of the ‘continental’ throne to return it to Manchester. :-)

I think we were, mate — the table does not and will not tell the full story.

But I know we’ll use what happened this year to fuel our efforts next season.

We’re still the dominant club in England and We have every reason to believe we aren’t going to relinquish that position any time soon.

And, as referenced above, we may finally be the dominant team in Europe soon enough.

It's quite astonishing that in the expected points table - based on the chances created/given up, Liverpool aren't even in 1st place. https://understat.com/league/EPL

I don't think that's truly representative, as they have arguably the best goalkeeper in the world who saves more than he'd be expected to - while in attack, they create a kind of chaotic pressure which does allow them to force mistakes/results when needed.

They aren't, however, dramatically better than us, or even truly dominant, and without momentum/confidence they could easily fall back as we have this season.

Ha,i have been using an Amazon fire tablet for a little while and despite me putting all my usual words in it changes the simplest of things ,like i to u and gaps,just why !!!! I am having to edit loads because it changes as soon as I post it,sorry I know it is annoying,have to get back on the computer
Very unlike you Kaz, thought you'd started on the wine a bit early, not a bad idea mind, the match day forum could make good reading tonight ;-)

A week ago i didn't care about this game but over the last day or two i've realised just how much i dislike Liverpool as a club and their fans.
I hope we batter them but i think it'll be close, 2-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.