Benjamin Mendy - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always seems to have a good game v Salah, makes me wonder if it's the absolute switch-on focus that makes him better?

He's been quietly improving all season with the howlers distracting from that. I'm sure as he gets fitter and more confident they will reduce

Also, I think he's got really good positional sense.
I think he's a very strong defender in a conventional sense. He uses his strength well too.

I reckon the bonus he has against Salah is that Liverpool force us to defend a bit deeper so he's defending in positions a normal non-City LB might be. As opposed to normally when he's isolated against their wingers in scary areas.

Another thing is Salah is pretty basic in what he does (although very good at it), and fortunately very greedy at times, especially if he hasn't scored yet, so he tends to struggle against very good LBs or super strong defensive outfits. Normally for him it isn't an issue because Liverpool pen teams in and their midfielders and forwards can drag players about making Salah super dangerous with his skillset, but because we're too good going forwards for Liverpool to force us back too much it pretty much became a 1-1 for Mendy v Salah most of the night. And Mendy stood up tall.

Great game. With a little bit of confidence he’s easily the second best LB in the league. Back to his best
Let’s not get too carried away as he was awful 7 days ago. Still never looks comfortable with the ball at his feet and never seems to know what he wants to do.

Excellent tonight his first touch was superb and he worked his socks off , seen him play for Monaco and he looked a beast of a player , he has been very u lucky with injuries , but he looks 100% fit now and tonight we witnessed the player we paid £50m for,

Much improved game today & strangely I thought the high pressing environment suited him tonight which meant he always had to be switched on & no time for complacency.

Pep & coaches must have drilled into him after the Chelski game not to dive into challenges & was noted in a few timely interceptions whilst on his feet in the last 10mins of the game.

There seems to be a dearth of good defensive left backs around. Most coach's seem to focus on the offensive strengths and Mendy when fully fit is a very good LB albeit like others eg Robertson and Chilwell there are flaws on the defensive side of his game. The main objective for Mendy is to keep fit and to concentrate for 90 mins and then as proved by last night's performance we have a very talented player on our books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.