Benjamin Mendy - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent performance but until it is like that every week rather than the 1 in 10 it is at the moment then im not convinced.

Nervous start but got better and better. The quality is there. Physically he looked quite sharp.

Maybe it’s jsut concentrating that is his problem, against lesser teams he may always make mistakes ?

Against Liverpool where he has to be fully focused he has always been very good

Maybe it’s jsut concentrating that is his problem, against lesser teams he may always make mistakes ?

Against Liverpool where he has to be fully focused he has always been very good

A lot of his mistakes revolve around giving the ball away because of the way he plays. He's aggressive in his play and his passing, he's always looking forward and trying to split balls between the press. That kind of mentality from a full back will always lead to mistakes but the overall good that it can do outweighs the mistake more often than not.

I just saw a clip of our 'fifth' last night and his pass to Mahrez into a crowded area split their midfield and took out a couple of their midfielders. It was a superb, underrated pass that 3/4 times out of 10 might not hit its target and cause a counter attack. I'm sure when Guardiola looks at that goal he'll love that pass from Mendy.

A lot of his mistakes revolve around giving the ball away because of the way he plays. He's aggressive in his play and his passing, he's always looking forward and trying to split balls between the press. That kind of mentality from a full back will always lead to mistakes but the overall good that it can do outweighs the mistake more often than not.

I just saw a clip of our 'fifth' last night and his pass to Mahrez into a crowded area split their midfield and took out a couple of their midfielders. It was a superb, underrated pass that 3/4 times out of 10 might not hit its target and cause a counter attack. I'm sure when Guardiola looks at that goal he'll love that pass from Mendy.

This is the exact reason I am less critical of Mendy than Walker. Mendy tries to make things happen and just like with KDB, sometimes it wont come off. Walker doesn't give the ball away as much and is generally the 'safer' of the two, because he very rarely tries anything other than a 5 yard pass back to a CB. A fair proportion of our attacks include Mendy to some degree, it would be criminal to try to make him play safer, just to cut out the few times he gives the ball away.

He was excellent last night and showed he can do it against the best teams. Needs to start doing that week in week out with no brain farts like Chelsea and if he can it solves a massive problem for us. His crossing is something else as well, Gab needs to know when Mendy has it in those positions he needs to attack the goal.

Needs to practice using his right foot to pass the ball 10-15 yards. If he could do that, he'd open up some much easier passes when under pressure. Trying to navigate onto his left foot all the time had him doing all sorts of twists and turns! His delivery is excellent and he was quick and generally sharp last night. Hopefully he can stay fit and continue to improve to the end of the season and kick on from there.

Could he be converted to left winger to replace sane?
His crossing is his obvious strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.