Phil Foden....no longer just potential

My mate at work who supports Forest described Foden last night as a mixture of Silva and KDB, with pace and a better eye for goal than Silva.

He said he reckons Foden will be England’s best player in the next 12 months.

It’s not just us who thinks he’s absolutely mint.
Even a blind man on a galloping horse can see Foden is absolute top quality and a joy to watch.

I just hope we're not falling into manyoo trap of getting giddy about youth players. I don't think we are, but I just hope we're not.
I find it difficult to understand how someone who has watched his progress over the last 5 or 6 years (presuming you're interested in the youth teams) could post that. His trajectory has always been upwards and I can't think of a single blip in that time, he's always looked like the real deal. His attitude deserves mention as much as his football, he's never had an issue on or off pitch and seems to train as ferociously as he plays. Total focus.

Until recently I could see why we were protecting him. All the attributes, yes. But he was prone to being knocked off the ball and had occasional positional and headless chicken moments. Since the restart he has matured. He now looks the k9s gonads. In Phil we can now trust. We'll done Pep and Co for resisting the pressure to play him too soon and too much. We kick on...
I think he could and should’ve been used a bit more than he has, even for longer periods off the bench when we were battering teams or starting at home against the lower positioned sides that weren’t coming to try and boot us off the pitch.

But as you say, he was very slight when he broke through... but after the restart he just looks more like a man, even a touch taller perhaps. He was never a Sancho that had that natural physicality or a Rooney to go further back, so he’s had to be held back even if the ability at similar ages may be comparable.

So although I’d have liked to see a bit more of him here and there, now does look the right time for him to become a regular, should he continue to perform when he plays.

It’s been a long time since there was a proper player we developed come through and it’ll hopefully be worth the wait. There seems to be a few more on the horizon too.

Hope he stays clear of injury.

We've seen glimpses of a really good player over the past two years or so as he's started to get in squads.

It's hard not to sound like you're going over the top and getting giddy but last night he was on a level with KdB and Sterling playing against what has been the best team in the league this season.

We're not just talking looking bright in the cup game anymore. He's the real deal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.