The death of VAR

VAR steps in when the ball is out of play. From there you go back to the situation under review.
Bunesliga refs would have given penalty for TAA's clear handball and Liv's goal wouldn't stand.
It's easy really, in terms of rules.

We've had a match in Mainz when players had to get back from the locker room at HT as VAR took some time for a tricky hand penalty claim in the last moment before HT whistle.
Penalty went in, 6:35 min after the official HT whistle.

I agree that if VAR thinks the ball-to-TAA is a handball, that's exactly what should happen. It happened in the Nations League semifinal with a foul rather than a handball.
I also remember the Mainz incident being reported.
I doubt anyone here is surprised that German football have VAR working or applied better than in the PL.

In this case, there was also the mysterious lack of VAR offside graphics for the second Liverpool goal, and even either a commentator or pundit said that to disallow a goal there would have caused a riot.

BTW, IFAB already updated the rules for 2020/21 season.
In place already as of 1 June. Most leagues want to finish seasons under old rules though.

Links:

https://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/836/110225_070420_Circular_18_2020_EN.pdf

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2020/0...ation-board-handball-rule-var-offside-review/

Spurs and Mahrez's brilliant goal would stand under new rules.

Marvellous, thanks.
As would Jesus' vs Spurs, I think.

Presumably there will be arguments about what 'immediately' means - I assume something close to "1-2 touch to control the ball and a shot", or the player moving less than a yard or so.

BTW, IFAB already updated the rules for 2020/21 season.
In place already as of 1 June. Most leagues want to finish seasons under old rules though.

Links:

https://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/836/110225_070420_Circular_18_2020_EN.pdf

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2020/0...ation-board-handball-rule-var-offside-review/

Spurs and Mahrez's brilliant goal would stand under new rules.

I think your interpretation is incorrect. Both goals last night went directly to the player that scored and both would still be ruled out. If the ball touched Foden's arm, went to De Brunye who passed to Mahrez then that is now a goal where as last night it wouldn't have been. Its a sensible amendment in my opinion.

Marvellous, thanks.
As would Jesus' vs Spurs, I think.

Presumably there will be arguments about what 'immediately' means - I assume something close to "1-2 touch to control the ball and a shot", or the player moving less than a yard or so.

I don't think the change would have prevented Jesus's goal being ruled out. Admittedly "immediately" still leaves room for interpretation but in reality I suspect it will mean the last player to touch it before it ends up with the goal scorer. From memory no one touched it after Laporte for the Jesus goal.

I was watching the West Ham game and just knew the moment it went in it would get disallowed. Player lying on the floor unable to get out of the way..if it takes you 22 fkin views and nearly 4 minutes to come to a decision to disallow it then that ain’t a clear and obvious error which I along with the clubs who agreed to it thought that this was what the purpose of VAR was for.
And as for that handball rule.. whoever brought that in should be scared to leave their house in embarrassement

Jesus this never ends does it.

guys you need to stop lumping everything in together.

VAR should be a hugely important thing for us. The camera shouldn’t lie. Be 100% in favour of that.

The implementation and the rules are the only issue here, not the tech.

so if you have an issue, stop bemoaning “var”.

Blame the refs, call em out. Blame the rules. But you saying “fuck var” gives them people an out and our fans keep doing that.

michael Oliver or Mike Dean being inept has nothing to do with the tech at hand, stop letting them off by moaning about var.
Funny that cos var's advocates said it would stop ref's being shit asnd make the game fairer.

I think your interpretation is incorrect. Both goals last night went directly to the player that scored and both would still be ruled out. If the ball touched Foden's arm, went to De Brunye who passed to Mahrez then that is now a goal where as last night it wouldn't have been. Its a sensible amendment in my opinion.

Yep, the wording is shite again and they didn't have the courage to trust good refs to decide what's intentional hand and what's accidental. Sadly.

Anyone knows it doesn't make a difference for the game if the ball hits you accidentally on your back, ear lobe, penis or arm. It just goes anywhere and it happens. What's so complicated?

For my interpretation, I have good hope that German refs will interpret the new rules exactly how we want to have them in terms of fairplay and good old football.
I have doubts indeed FA/PGMOL finally come to senses or PL refs can deliver.

Almost, but not quite. Walker attempted to clear the ball in between and it went to Fabhino? who scored. So passage of play was interrupted by a City touch, so TAA handball did not directly lead to the goal.

It's all rather ambiguous and tenuous though.
i.e. BOLLOCKS !

Walker touching the ball does not constitute City regaining possession.

It’s the same way as the back pass rule. The ball can come off a defender and the keeper can pick it up. However, if a defender has possession and passes it to the keeper, he cannot pick it up.

The law makers really have missed the mark with the handball law. Something which should be really simple has been made into a complete crock of shite.

If the ball goes directly into the net off a hand or after being controlled by a hand then disallow it.

All the nonsense about brushing an arm in the build up and the passage of play to carry on for 5 minutes before a goal and it being ruled out is shite.

The TAA incident at Anfield should have been a City penalty. That is where the bottle job happened. However, once play was allowed to carry on the goal should have stood.

Jesus’s goal v Spurs and Mahrez last night should also have stood.

There is a simple solution. Change the assist law to a pass that creates a clear goal scoring opportunity and any hand/arm used to score or assist a goal will be ruled out.

I remember Foden getting an assist a few seasons ago for playing a 2 yard pass to Kun who then hit a crossbar and in screamer from about 20 yards against Leicester. IMO, that shouldn’t be an assist.

Just like the Mahrez goal last night, there was no clear goal scoring chance when he picked the ball up. He beat the players and made the goal himself. Similar to the Jesus goal v Spurs.

Now if the ball hit De Bruyne’s arm in the build up to Foden’s goal then that should have been disallowed.

Jesus this never ends does it.

guys you need to stop lumping everything in together.

VAR should be a hugely important thing for us. The camera shouldn’t lie. Be 100% in favour of that.

The implementation and the rules are the only issue here, not the tech.

so if you have an issue, stop bemoaning “var”.

Blame the refs, call em out. Blame the rules. But you saying “fuck var” gives them people an out and our fans keep doing that.

michael Oliver or Mike Dean being inept has nothing to do with the tech at hand, stop letting them off by moaning about var.

well said

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.