General Videogame Thread

It’s the quick fix society in gaming, can’t be arsed putting in the graft the6 want instant rewards and satisfaction and if you have the cash you can get it, games where you can purchase advantage are not games for me, day one some twat has all the best gear, where is the fun in that?
Don't forget a lot of publishers deliberately make their games Grindy to entice customer to buy MTX to cut the grind.

Ubisoft are a prime example of this.

Take Assassins Creed Odyssey. Now I think that's a great game, the map is huge, I like the story and combat and it's fun to play however the leveling system is geared towards buying MTX to level faster.

Say your character is level 30 and you go up against a level 32 NPC your going to get wrecked even though they are 2 levels above you so you have to grind a LOT of fetch quests to gain that extra 2 levels and here's the kicker. Each time you level you you need more xp each time to level you BUT the xp you earn from fetch quests remains the same xp throughout the game. Doesn't matter if your level 1 or level 30 you get the same xp for the quest. So what do Ubisoft do? They offer a MTX called a time saver. For £8 that will give you double xp on everything you do in the game forever. When your near the end of the game the bosses are ridiculously tough and you need to be at least the same level or higher to beat them.

So what do you do? Grind for hours and hours doing meaningless quest to get to the level or pay £8 to speed up the game? I bought the time saver mxt as I got the game for £15 so I spent £23 on a game I've played around just over 100 hours which I would say is good value. If I had payed full price for the game(£50) I wouldn't of bought it

But wait! Ubisoft also sell better gear and weapons to help you though the game £2 for a sword £5 for better amour ect. I haven't bought them but that's how they get other people. It's a non stop cash cow.

MTX and DLC are different than loot boxes as you know exactly what your buying whereas loot boxes are a game of chance which is gambling and they should be banned but MTX and DLC will never go away.

Don't forget a lot of publishers deliberately make their games Grindy to entice customer to buy MTX to cut the grind.

Ubisoft are a prime example of this.

Take Assassins Creed Odyssey. Now I think that's a great game, the map is huge, I like the story and combat and it's fun to play however the leveling system is geared towards buying MTX to level faster.

Say your character is level 30 and you go up against a level 32 NPC your going to get wrecked even though they are 2 levels above you so you have to grind a LOT of fetch quests to gain that extra 2 levels and here's the kicker. Each time you level you you need more xp each time to level you BUT the xp you earn from fetch quests remains the same xp throughout the game. Doesn't matter if your level 1 or level 30 you get the same xp for the quest. So what do Ubisoft do? They offer a MTX called a time saver. For £8 that will give you double xp on everything you do in the game forever. When your near the end of the game the bosses are ridiculously tough and you need to be at least the same level or higher to beat them.

So what do you do? Grind for hours and hours doing meaningless quest to get to the level or pay £8 to speed up the game? I bought the time saver mxt as I got the game for £15 so I spent £23 on a game I've played around just over 100 hours which I would say is good value. If I had payed full price for the game(£50) I wouldn't of bought it

But wait! Ubisoft also sell better gear and weapons to help you though the game £2 for a sword £5 for better amour ect. I haven't bought them but that's how they get other people. It's a non stop cash cow.

MTX and DLC are different than loot boxes as you know exactly what your buying whereas loot boxes are a game of chance which is gambling and they should be banned but MTX and DLC will never go away.
I don’t see the logic in buying something that makes a game end quicker. I did enjoy that AC for a while to be fair, i got bored pretty quick though and just went after the main quests. There’s something about ubisoft games though that just feels empty. I find it really hard to immerse myself into any of their games.

I think every industry tries to milk/take advantage of people's passion and addictions but the virtual gaming industry seems to do it to another level.

I wonder if there are often rows in the office between game designers/developers who have a genuine love for the game and those who work in marketing pushing for up-selling techniques...

I don’t see the logic in buying something that makes a game end quicker. I did enjoy that AC for a while to be fair, i got bored pretty quick though and just went after the main quests. There’s something about ubisoft games though that just feels empty. I find it really hard to immerse myself into any of their games.
Often it's just to cut the grind because it's so boring and go directly to the interesting part (end-game content or PvP)

I think every industry tries to milk/take advantage of people's passion and addictions but the virtual gaming industry seems to do it to another level.

I wonder if there are often rows in the office between game designers/developers who have a genuine love for the game and those who work in marketing pushing for up-selling techniques...

Think of them as politicians. I'd imagine most start off with good intentions but once they find they can make some 'extra' cash...

Often it's just to cut the grind because it's so boring and go directly to the interesting part (end-game content or PvP)
In a multiplayer game I could understand it. But in a single player game it’s odd to me, it’s not my money though so hey ho. The decision from the company is disgusting though. They’re capitalising on having dross content. Imaging making purposefully dull content that people can pay to avoid.

You know what sucks, she said hello yesterday and I ignored her. Not intentionally, there was a traveller kid up to no good in our estate so I was distracted. But I heard the hello yet I did not even look in her direction. So she probably thinks I am hating her now. Kicking myself because of that
And surely this is something you can explain to her over coffee.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy............

Anyone on here a fan of Stellaris?

Just realised I've played roughly 150 hours of this game and infact never even finished a scenario!
Keep meaning to start this, how does it compare to say Galactic Civilizations 3? Have heard good things.

Moved on to Control on PS4 now. Closest I have come to playing a shooter in over a decade, if it was first person I'd have dropped it by now. Probably a good game if you like shooting lots of things, but not really one for me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.