Kalidou Koulibaly

I made comparison between Koulibaly, Soyuncu & Virgil.
https://www.whoscored.com/PlayerComparison

Virgil has better numbers, while the remaining two are very close.

One suprise I noticed, for AerialsWon :

Virgil with 4.9 , Soyuncu 3.2 while Koulibaly has 2.1 ( Even though Soyuncu is 10cm shorter than Koulibaly )
Maybe Italians teams keeps the ball on the ground more :) , but its something to examine.
I suspect it has more to do with the Leagues. Koulibaly is fierce in the air. One of his absolute strengths. So I'll presume his numbers would be higher I'd he was in the Prem. Percentage of aerial battles won is a better judge of how well you do in the air.

I made comparison between Koulibaly, Soyuncu & Virgil.
https://www.whoscored.com/PlayerComparison

Virgil has better numbers, while the remaining two are very close.

One suprise I noticed, for AerialsWon :

Virgil with 4.9 , Soyuncu 3.2 while Koulibaly has 2.1 ( Even though Soyuncu is 10cm shorter than Koulibaly )
Maybe Italians teams keeps the ball on the ground more :) , but its something to examine.

Aerial success rate is VVD - 75.4%, Soyuncu 62.8% and Koulibaly 56.8%, so not too much between the latter 2 but reflective of height between them and Virgil. Soyuncu was mediocre at best against us which is the acid test for our level though.

Yes I am. Soyuncu is the better current footballer. World Class simply denotes a long history of excellence. I don't deny that. But that highlights the past. I'm trying to project the future. So the most recent performances are more important. Koulbaly has been a top defense for years. So yes, he has a stronger reputation. I
But in this season of 2019-2020 I think Soyuncu has been the better player. Don't confuse the 2 ideas.

I want the better player going forward, not the one who has been better in the past. This seems like the Bonnucci vs VVD discussion all over again when he was at Southampton. And some of us wanted him while others wanted Bonnucci... You know, because Bonnucci was World Class.

Soyuncu has been a better CB THIS season. Not historically, but this season. And I suspect that trend will continue into the future.

Soyuncu a better current footballer than Koulibaly... I’ve heard it all really.

Lay off the YouTube videos and start watching real games, you might learn something...

Jonny Evans has been the best defender there and is brilliant, despite people not wanting to admit that
Nope. Ricardo Perreira has been. Evans has been good. Soyuncu has been better. Better tackler, faster, anticipates better, better in the air, better passer, better dribbler, more comfortable on the ball. And they intercept the ball at the same rate.

And when you watch Leicester, it is clear who the better footballer is. And the Metrics support that too.

Aerial success rate is VVD - 75.4%, Soyuncu 62.8% and Koulibaly 56.8%, so not too much between the latter 2 but reflective of height between them and Virgil. Soyuncu was mediocre at best against us which is the acid test for our level though.

Which website shows the success rate ?

If Leicester got £80m for tugboat, how much do you think they would want for Soyuncu?

Koulibaly makes far more sense

Soyuncu a better current footballer than Koulibaly... I’ve heard it all really.

Lay off the YouTube videos and start watching real games, you might learn something...
He's had a better season. Let's not pretend you watch any more Napoli games than the average fan. . So stop acting like your opinion is based on anything other than reputation. It is silly.

Koulibaly has had a poorer season. By his standard. And Soyuncu is having a better season. If you've watched Napoli in the CL and against Juve ( like most fans have) and you've watched Leicester a bit like most have

It is easy to see Soyuncu is having a better season. But just so we aren't basing it on a narrow number of games, all the metric sites also back up that claim.

So please, enough with the reputation game

For this season according to whoscored:

Soyuncu is rated the 8th best Central Defender amongst all Central Defenders who have played at least 15 games. Koulibaly is ranked 81st!

By the way, that's behind every single City defense not named John Stones. So Otamendi, Dihno and Laporte are all better. Also, Kourt Zouma, Nattan Ake, Lewis Dunk, Smalling, Bashan, O'Connell to name but just a few in the 80 names ranked ahead of Koulibaly for this season.

It does us all no service to pretend reputation and performance are one and the same.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.