Who can replace Leroy Sane?

Who can replace Leroy Sane?

Raheem Sterling can and already has in looking at the last two years. If he makes the next step with an increase in quality again we won’t need to sign anyone.

Sterling took a huge leap forward in 2017-18. He was almost as good again last season but seriously stalled in his development this season, he went backwards in respect to his general play despite being better statistically with goals and assists.

But he’s started lockdown footy in better form than he was in for the rest of the season before lockdown. If he can take a step forward again like he did in 2017-18, we won’t need to sign anyone to replace Sané.

I think the next move should be for an experienced, late 20s, centre half to play with Laporte. Have some years from him while García develops.

The next one after that will be our next striker signing after Agüero goes. Jesus might well be a City player for the next decade, but we can’t have just one striker in the squad so we will sign a #9. I think we should be aiming for as good as we can get, not a squad player.

They’re the next two positions we’ll be looking at IMO.

I get that £30m in this market seems like a relatively cheap deal, but do we not think part of the reason for Bailey's price potentially going down is that his production has gone down in the last two seasons? 7 goals and 3 assists in 30 apps this season and 5 goals and 5 assists in 39 apps last season. He looked very promising in 17/18 but he's hardly shown much at all since then.

I get that £30m in this market seems like a relatively cheap deal, but do we not think part of the reason for Bailey's price potentially going down is that his production has gone down in the last two seasons? 7 goals and 3 assists in 30 apps this season and 5 goals and 5 assists in 39 apps last season. He looked very promising in 17/18 but he's hardly shown much at all since then.

True.
Had a short read on Leverkusen's forum.
While Bailey works quite well back he has lost his powerful runs upfront. He also needs space going forward and that's what we mostly don't have.
Not the right one me thinks.

Without knowing Oyarzabal too much I think he'd be a better fit and much better Pep player with great ball control - and a Spaniard ;)
As captain in San Sebastian at 23 already seems to be a good character.

True.
Had a short read on Leverkusen's forum.
While Bailey works quite well back he has lost his powerful runs upfront. He also needs space going forward and that's what we mostly don't have.
Not the right one me thinks.

Without knowing Oyarzabal too much I think he'd be a better fit and much better Pep player with great ball control - and a Spaniard ;)
As captain in San Sebastian at 23 already seems to be a good character.

Oyarzabal is a good 3/4th option on the list surely because we need blistering pace and I don't see that in his game at all

Don’t think we can replace him. On his day he was the best in the world, for me. Granted, some will say he didn’t do that often enough. Which I suppose is a fair argument. But still the best. A huge loss.

FWIW I think the fact we basically haven't had Leroy in a year and a half that between Sterling, Mahrez, Bernardo, occasionally Jesus and Foden, and the integration of Braaf makes this not such a pressing issue at the moment. I'd go CB, LCB/LB, and second keeper this summer and see where we are in January.

We should tighten the squad. Concentration on the league and Europe. Much will depend on CAS.

Oyarzabal is a good 3/4th option on the list surely because we need blistering pace and I don't see that in his game at all

Not sure Pep mainly looks for blistering pace, even on the wings.
We have to operate in tight spaces most of the times.
Pep clearly looks for clean ball control first, for top character and attitude, for intelligence and variability - to play the game he wants to play.

Pep clearly looks for clean ball control first, for top character and attitude, for intelligence and variability - to play the game he wants to play.

We're looking to replace Sane with a similar player if they're going to replace him. Every squad needs variety in options.

I agree with Pep then. We need consistency in our passing and shooting. We let ourselves down with the last pass or shot over and over. We do all the work to get into a great position and then fluff it. We need our attackers to gel like they did a few years ago when Aguero, Yaya and Silva were inch perfect. IMO.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.