#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you can say that for certain. He may have been able to play like this a year ago, but we will never know as he was getting so little playing time. Sancho left and got more playing time and look what he achieved while Foden has been mostly on the bench. And yet most on here think Foden is a better player including myself.

Midfielders and wingers develop at different rates. It's much more difficult for 19-20 y.o. players to shine in midfield than on the wings.

Where would one loan Foden out to help his development? Championship would be probably stupid and no PL team remotely resembling our style would guarantee him a starting place. Learning under Pep and with the Silvas, De Bruyne, Kun, Raz, Kompany etc might prove much more beneficial in the long run than quickly becoming a star.

People often fail to understand that there might be important tradeoffs between quickly establishing oneself and having a higher ceiling and hitting greater heights. Foden will surpass Sancho, imo, precisely because he was patient enough to learn under the best manager and with the best midfielders.

I don't think you can say that for certain. He may have been able to play like this a year ago, but we will never know as he was getting so little playing time. Sancho left and got more playing time and look what he achieved while Foden has been mostly on the bench. And yet most on here think Foden is a better player including myself.

I do agree with the whole idea of Foden being ready to play consistently earlier than he has done. I've frequently complained on here when he's been left out and our midfield has been turgid.

But, on the other hand, what I feel has been left out of the conversation recently is that Pep still deserves credit for bringing him into the first team in the first place.

How many other managers would look at him even now and think that he's too small and too skinny to play in a Premier League team fighting for trophies? Pep spotted the raw talent nearly four years ago and put him in the bench for a Champions League game.

It's easier for the likes of Sancho, Greenwood etc to be trusted with minutes because they play in a position which has more freedom in an attacking sense and less in a defensive one. Usually the midfielders who play from an early age tend to be the likes of Barkley, Lampard, Gerrard etc who are all around 6ft and were physically dominating at academy level and were ready for "men's football".

So, on the one hand, I feel like Foden should have been playing more a lot sooner and I don't agree that his recent form has vindicated Pep's decision to stifle him of minutes this season but he definitely deserves credit for Phil's development and integration in the first place. It's perfect timing for Phil because if he came through in a previous era I couldn't see the likes of Mancini or Pellegrini trusting him so much.

Reminds me of Stephen Ireland. Don't forget how awesome he once was. Just hope that Phil sustains his standards.

Reminds me of Stephen Ireland. Don't forget how awesome he once was. Just hope that Phil sustains his standards.
Ha. It’s a decent point and I loved Ireland. But Foden is a different animal. The impressive thing about Phil is his mentality, steely determination and the way he dusts off not playing or being subbed. He’s come back from lockdown with a different look in his eye and seems determined to make every second count.

In my own personal opinion i’m Not even gonna call him a talent anymore. If I was City or England manager not only would he play more but he’d be one of the first players on the sheet and the rest can fit in around him.

I dont think there is any question about Phil getting a regular start now. He is good enough and his performances have proved it and Pep has seen it, and so has Southgate. Phil will play for England in the coming months and will be a starter come the Euros.

Next season Phil Foden will become the first name to go on Peps team sheet.
I'm 100% sure that Pep and City have spoken to Southgate and asked for them to leave him alone until we give the green light. I'm also sure that Foden will be the first name on England team sheets from now on or very shortly after making his debut.

Once Foden has established himself in our team he will become an England regular , if he avoids serious injuries he could play over a decade for us and win a hundred caps , at 20years old the world is at his feet , much as i hate rughead Foden is the most exciting prospect England have had for since Shrek appeared on the scene.

14 goals in 66 apps for a 20 year old midfielder. Don't know how many of those apps are sub apperances. His eye for goal is spectacular

Ireland’s not even on the same planet as Foden.

Ireland had about 1 good season throughout his whole career, also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.