Kalidou Koulibaly

1) *here

2) Watch ESPN and they’ll always say “City is...” rather than “are”.
1)super hungover, give me a pass on my spelling

2) wife (grammar teacher) says “is” is the appropriate verb in that context anyway, so we’re both wrong

Is this serious? Literally the only real criticism of Koulibaly I'm seeing in here is that he's 29 and we won't get a decade out of him.

I'm one of those who had been pushing for Foden to start for as long as I can remember and have complained about our shite youth integration for years. But there's a place for that and there's a place for experience. We've lost our captain and we're (I hope to fucking god) losing Otamendi so I don't see the issue with bringing in a genuine quality player in the latter half of his career.

As much as I'd love to have Garcia and Harwood-Bellis in the starting lineup, it's just not feasible. I don't care what anyone says, Garcia, as much as I rate him, isn't ready to be the first choice. He's got at least one big mistake in him per game. Taylor is further behind. Tosin I'd love to come back but it doesn't seem particularly likely.

On the flip side, when it comes to buying young players, I see far too much focus on how we can get a ten year player simply because they're young. Most of our players in their early 20s now won't be here when they reach 30, that's just how football works. Sane's an example of that and there will be more to follow.

Centre back is the one area of the pitch where we are desperately lacking reliability, experience and physical presence. Personally I think he's exactly the type of player we need for now and one to help the kids develop their game.
I find it very strange you choose to pick 2 lines of a post, ignoring the explanation. Anyway you kind of prove my point in every aspect. The fact Pep has told you 2-3 times now Garcia has earned his chance because he doesn't make mistakes and is reliable, for you to mention mistakes and reliability makes you sound silly and justifies my original post calling that behaviour out.

I find it very strange you choose to pick 2 lines of a post, ignoring the explanation. Anyway you kind of prove my point in every aspect. The fact Pep has told you 2-3 times now Garcia has earned his chance because he doesn't make mistakes and is reliable, for you to mention mistakes and reliability makes you sound silly and justifies my original post calling that behaviour out.

If you don't think Garcia made any mistakes against Liverpool then you're wrong.

If Pep says Garcia didn't make any mistakes he's backing his player.

It's a bit weird to start talking about silliness when you've just suggested we don't need Koulibaly because Harwood-Bellis is ready to be a first team regular.

If you don't think Garcia made any mistakes against Liverpool then you're wrong.

If Pep says Garcia didn't make any mistakes he's backing his player.

It's a bit weird to start talking about silliness when you've just suggested we don't need Koulibaly because Harwood-Bellis is ready to be a first team regular.
It's also very disingenuous to suggest I said that about THB, purposefully leaving out the bits about Garcia, Tosin and Fernandinho in the same setence isn't it.

If you look in the Garcia thread from yesterday you'll also see a highlighted a mistake Garcia made in the second half, it's called balance and understanding because it's very rare he makes a mistake. It's one of his biggest strengths as a player.

1)super hungover, give me a pass on my spelling

2) wife (grammar teacher) says “is” is the appropriate verb in that context anyway, so we’re both wrong
Your wife is wrong and I’ve already posted a link to a grammar page but I’ll post it again:

....as we use plural group nouns for teams.

https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/english-grammar-reference/group-nouns

“The names of many organisations and teams are also group nouns, but they are usually plural in spoken English:

Barcelona are winning 2–0.

The United Oil Company are putting prices up by 12 per cent.

and the police is always plural:

The police are offering a £5,000 reward.”

Guessing your wife is a Yank hence me saying “Americanism”.

Can you not understand how crazy you sound? We'll be here long after Pep, as much as we absolutely love him and what he's done, it shouldn't change the reason why we sign players.

You know as well as I do, the same people were the ones saying we had to buy Alexis Sanchez because he would guarantee us the league and we were stupid not to spend the money, especially when he then went to United. It's fucking mental.
Yes we’ll be here after Pep, but Pep is here! Right now! Let’s make full use of that. And again, there’s no saying that Sanchez could’ve been a success for us.

Your wife is wrong and I’ve already posted a link to a grammar page but I’ll post it again:

....as we use plural group nouns for teams.

https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/english-grammar-reference/group-nouns

“The names of many organisations and teams are also group nouns, but they are usually plural in spoken English:

Barcelona are winning 2–0.

The United Oil Company are putting prices up by 12 per cent.

and the police is always plural:

The police are offering a £5,000 reward.”

Guessing your wife is a Yank hence me saying “Americanism”.
Tbf it says usually and not always, unlike the example of the police below. Technically Barcelona is winning 1-0 isn't incorrect, although less standard. The difference in a football team being singular or plural is contextual.

Tbf it says usually and not always, unlike the example of the police below. Technically Barcelona is winning 1-0 isn't incorrect, although less standard.
Messi, Suarez, and Busquets are winning 1-0.
Barca are winning 1-0.

What is Barca or FC Barcelona?
'Barca' or 'FC Barcelona' is a collection.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.