Kalidou Koulibaly

You don't think they're ready, it doesn't mean they're not ready. Before the lockdown you had a large proportion of fans saying Foden still wasn't ready, saying we needed a Silva replacement and as soon as he suffers the slightest dip in form, they'll resurface.

Any dips in form of Garcia, Tosin and THB suffer are very easily mitigated with Fernandinho who like you say has been very steady. We would also have Laporte back which isn't to be underestimated.

I could say the same; there's less evidence buying a 29 year old for £60-90m is a guarantee of success, in fact I'd say there's fuck all. Before you mention VVD, the circumstances were completely different, Liverpool we're desperate for the league title and have a humongous rebuilding job to do in 2 years maximum due to their transfer policy. It was a huge gamble justified because their aspirations were different than ours having not won the league in 30 years.

We're going to have to agree to disagree mate because I can't wrap my head around someone thinking that a centreback signing isn't a priority. As far as I'm concerned, it's the priority and it's pretty clear that the club sees it the same way.

Right , okay. You obviously. Don’t have much confidence in the club. Despite all the recent trophies and records delivered.
In fairness, nothing in his post suggest he has no faith in the clubs ability to win trophies and break records. However, that has little to do with whether management sometimes lose players because they are trying to lower the price. They do. And that's his complaint.

Your point should be, well it does not matter, since we win anyway :)

I guess we’d need an American who understands their linguistic nuances to explain it, but I don’t think it’s only our sports teams, they do it with bands / companies.

Nirvana is back with a new album. DC United is 0 from 3 on the road. Apple is opening stores Thursday.

I had an American tutor at an English uni who tried to correct my grammar saying I should use “is” when talking about a company and I thought he was on drugs.
Tell me about it. Pre-internet, Americans had a shockingly bad knowledge of other varieties of English.

But yeah, they definitely do it with our sports teams but not their own.

Compare this from ESPN:
The Miami Heat have closed their training facility after a second player tested positive for the coronavirus, a source confirmed to ESPN on Friday.

To this from CNN:
Liverpool's title-winning celebrations were given a rude awakening as Jurgen Klopp's team was thrashed 4-0 by last year's champion Manchester City in the Premier League.

After ending its 30-year wait for a top-flight English league title last week, Liverpool were given a guard of honor by its opponents as the players made their way onto the Etihad Stadium's pitch.

Let's be honest, the main issue is that they're all over the fucking place. That second one had Liverpool referred to as singular, plural and then singular again in the same sentence. I was looking at examples of bands, and saw "Radiohead are..." and "The Who are..." but "Kings of Leon is..."

Anyway, Koulibaly.

Tbf it says usually and not always, unlike the example of the police below. Technically Barcelona is winning 1-0 isn't incorrect, although less standard. The difference in a football team being singular or plural is contextual.
Ding Ding Ding!

That's acceptable English.
It's easier to digest if you use Napoli's instead of Napoli is.
Napoli's what?
It doesn't make much sense.

Arsenal's not good enough.
Manchester United's not good enough.
Mustafi's, Luiz's, Xhaka's not good enough.

Manchester United is not good enough.
Arsenal is not good enough.
Mustafi, Luiz, Xhaka is not good enough.

Mustafi, Luiz, Xhaka are not good enough.
Arsenal are not good enough.

We're going to have to agree to disagree mate because I can't wrap my head around someone thinking that a centreback signing isn't a priority. As far as I'm concerned, it's the priority and it's pretty clear that the club sees it the same way.
I never said it wasn't a priority, I just think we have better long term options within the club than gambling £60-90m on a short term signing who comes with absolutely no guarantees.

Napoli's what?
It doesn't make much sense.

Napoli's as in Napoli is not the possessive.

Napoli's playing poorly. It works and it's acceptable.

What you're saying makes sense but there is NO grammatical rule explicitly stating what you are as fact. In fact most accounts find either use acceptable, albeit appreciating they're used differently in different places and contexts. If you are arguing the logic then fine I get you, but if you're arguing the rules you aren't going to get anywhere, because there is no rule.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.