Southampton (A) Post-Match Thread

Fucking awful subs from pep. We were building up pressure and then he changed it so we had no wide men and 5 Center Mids on the field. he says he hates ‘tiki taka’ but we seem to be playing It more and more often. Just aimless recycling of the ball across their defence. We have fucking no pace if sterling goes off. Needs addressing.

It's true that there are lows, and then there are lows. Was it in Pellegrini's last season that we completely capitulated against the rags in an end-of-season game? That was far, far worse than anything we've seen this season (yes, including even our two league defeats to them, which were nothing like as abject). We've won a cup, we're in with a serious chance for another, and an outside chance for the third.
The biggest issue, by far, is the CAS ruling. Which is imminent. Puts losing to Southampton in perspective (although I'm fairly pissed off nonetheless).

Fuck me the arrogance of you.

We have problems defensively and we have problems finishing chances when Agüero is out (and even sometimes when he's fit).

You want analysis?

City have created 85.27 expected goals (xG) this season, 4 above our actual numbers of goals scored.
Liverpool have created 66.16 xG, 6 below the actual number.

City's defensive xG is 34.05, almost dead on the 34 goals conceded.
Liverpools defensive xG is 32.78 (Just over 1 goal less than City), but they have only conceded 25.

These changes lead to City's expected points being 8.37 higher than our real tally.
While Liverpool's expected points are 22.91 lower than reality.

An analysis of the things that have cost us this season amount to:
- Defensive frailties
- Missing chances
- Injuries
- Misfortune

Our defensive numbers are actually similar to Liverpool, while we are creating so many more opportunities than any other team. We should be leading.
There is obviously an argument about xG and how, especially defensively, it favours teams who get lot's of men behind the ball, as xG doesn't account for the number of players goal side of the ball. Teams like Burnley often over perform in xG. This could explain Liverpool's insane stats, but it doesn't completely. Stats like Liverpool's (exceeding xG by a ridiculous margin) is unsustainable as it relies on players to finish many difficult chances and rarely or never miss very good chances. Some of it has to be put down to fortune.

However, it highlights that creatively we are the best team in the Premier League by a long way and our sheer number of goals is not solely or even mainly the work of our forwards but the invention of our midfield. Defensively, our team is far more exposed than teams who keep numbers behind the ball and will often concede around the xG. We need to help lower our defensive xG while trying to actually meet our own attacking xG or even exceed it next season. Lowering our defensive xG will come from hopefully quality reinforcements at centre-back and possibly left-back while Foden / Bernardo should be able to cover the advancing LB much more efficiently than David Silva.[/QUOTE

we are undoubtedly brilliant team but the finishing of silva x2, Sterling, Jesus, mahrez, Gundagon and even aguero at times (witness our penalty woes) is not random bad luck that will change next season. Tonight echoed pep’s first season, Lots of the ball, not enough goals, one chance conceded one goal.

got to give southamptons defence and keeper credit got in way of everything just one of them.days where nothing was going to go in even if we played all night

I will give a team credit if in the next game they put the same effort in I very much doubt they will put that much determination effort and work rate again this season so fcuk them.

Fucking awful subs from pep. We were building up pressure and then he changed it so we had no wide men and 5 Center Mids on the field. he says he hates ‘tiki taka’ but we seem to be playing It more and more often. Just aimless recycling of the ball across their defence. We have fucking no pace if sterling goes off. Needs addressing.
I was very happy to see Foden and KDB come on as it's exactly what I though we needed. Then I saw he was taking off Sterling and Mahrez. Bizarre decision. We should get Braaf and possibly Delap in the squad asap. We need attacking options off the bench.

Okay. Who's fault would it have been if we had drawn 0-0? If Che Adam's had chipped it over the bar?

Not Zinchenko.

This is typical scapegoating. Laporte, García and Cancelo all made similar errors to Zinchenko but weren't punished for them. Jesus, Sterling, Bernardo, Silva all missed chance after chance.
So you’re saying Zinchenko’s mistake didn’t cost us the game??
I accept he was unlucky that nobody could rescue him on this occasion but he gave the ball away on other occasions too when he got away with it.
He is a decent player but NOT a natural LB as he has demonstrated on many occasions.
LB definitely needs addressing if we are to improve our defence.

Sterling was hobbling a bit after that tackle by the spurs player.

If one game could sum up a season...

I think the issue with Jesus is that he would have been great in Southampton's side and tactics today. The harassing of defenders and playing on the break with more space to run into is his strength.

In our side though I think in games like today where it is really crowded and he needs to be stronger in holding it up and just generally have more conviction in what he does, he struggles.

I still think there is a player in there, just not sure he will be clinical enough for what we want to achieve.

I do find games like this interesting, really we should have won by 4/5. Naturally losing 1-0 means Southampton's tactics were spot on in the eyes of many. However is it great tactics that their keeper played a blinder and their defenders had about 5 World class last ditch blocks or is it luck?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.