Southampton (A) Post-Match Thread

It's true that there are lows, and then there are lows. Was it in Pellegrini's last season that we completely capitulated against the rags in an end-of-season game? That was far, far worse than anything we've seen this season (yes, including even our two league defeats to them, which were nothing like as abject). We've won a cup, we're in with a serious chance for another, and an outside chance for the third.
The biggest issue, by far, is the CAS ruling. Which is imminent. Puts losing to Southampton in perspective (although I'm fairly pissed off nonetheless).

Amen to that Brother

Why do we always try to walk the ball in the net ? We have players like KDB,Mahrez,Foden,Dinho,Rodri who are all capable of scoring 25/30 yarders but even when it opens upon on the edge of the area they pass,pass,pass , lets have a few more pops at goal from outside the area , i would rather take a deflection off a defenders backside than put up with todays frustration.

Sterling was hobbling a big after that tackle by the spurs player.
Oh was he? Didn’t notice to be honest. But it shows we have no depth wide. Should have left mahrez on . We really only have two wingers as it is. Foden can do a job but he needs to be central.

So you’re saying Zinchenko’s mistake didn’t cost us the game??
I accept he was unlucky that nobody could rescue him on this occasion but he gave the ball away on other occasions too when he got away with it.
He is a decent player but NOT a natural LB as he has demonstrated on many occasions.
LB definitely needs addressing if we are to improve our defence.
I deleted that post after reading it back and realising I had gone over the top.
However, I'm not saying that mistake didn't cost us the game, I'm saying Zinchenko's mistake SHOULDN'T have cost us the game, it did because of our poor finishing.

I do agree that Zinchenko should be moved on and allowed to play in midfield somewhere while we get a natural LB.

If one game could sum up a season...

I think the issue with Jesus is that he would have been great in Southampton's side and tactics today. The harassing of defenders and playing on the break with more space to run into is his strength.

In our side though I think in games like today where it is really crowded and he needs to be stronger in holding it up and just generally have more conviction in what he does, he struggles.

I still think there is a player in there, just not sure he will be clinical enough for what we want to achieve.

I do find games like this interesting, really we should have won by 4/5. Naturally losing 1-0 means Southampton's tactics were spot on in the eyes of many. However is it great tactics that their keeper played a blinder and their defenders had about 5 World class last ditch blocks or is it luck?
He did some good stuff. He came deep and hit one time layoffs. I’m fairly sure that’s his instruction as the oncoming midfielder can see ahead and the release the wingers. Only we only have sterling who you can play it in behind to and he seems to keep cutting back for some reason. So the layoffs were futile.

We need a finisher. I really think Jesus is a top player, but don't think we can ever lean on him the way we've learned on Sergio. Big couple of transfer markets coming up.
I like him alot I just worry his stature lets him down... It is hard to maneuver around defenders without blazing speed or at least some speed ( which he has) and strength. It is hard to be dominant in the air as well with his stature. Maybe it was an emotional let off post the big Liverpool game. Maybe in the next few he'll really show himself as he is immensely gifted. I think head games for him play a role too. He is short on confidence right now and he is thrust in the top spot with Aguero out.

Next game I hope he bags a hat trick.

So we are 2nd, Carabao Cup in the bank, at Wembley again for a FA Cup semi and still have the CL to go for?

Yep, thought so. Not a bad position to be in at all really.
I was talking about the PL campaign alone. We’ve been great in the cups, and I’ve not said otherwise, so I have no idea what point you are trying to make

I don't know why folk are moaning so much it is obvious that Pep is treating these games as a pre season to get the squad fit for the champions league. This is why he is making so many changes game after game.

I do find games like this interesting, really we should have won by 4/5. Naturally losing 1-0 means Southampton's tactics were spot on in the eyes of many. However is it great tactics that their keeper played a blinder and their defenders had about 5 World class last ditch blocks or is it luck?
It's both. Hasenhüttl's tactics allowed them the opportunity to capitalise on their luck. Getting numbers behind the ball limited City's glaring opportunities and their 2 striker-4 man midfield press caused the opening goal.

Yes Southampton were lucky but you need more than just luck to beat City IMO. Hasenhüttl's tactics worked.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.