Quitting smoking

I still get cravings and had a blip last year but have have stopped smoking through vaping for over three years. I am giving not vaping a go (I have done since early March) and doing ok so far.

Last edited:
Champix tablets from the Doctor worked for me. I haven't smoked for three years now, though I do get the odd fleeting craving now and again.
And for me. Worked like a dream.

Vaping just keeps the addiction alive and you’re only ever one beer or empty vape from a fag.

I quit 27 years ago, from about 30 a day.
Best thing I ever did. I used Nicorette gum for about a month, it was hard.
You have to be determined, avoiding the places and things you really enjoyed smoking, like sitting outside a coffee shop.
I think it took a month before I really knew I'd stopped.

E cigs, no problem. Been clean for over 2 years, tried a couple of normal fags in the meanwhile and they tasted bloody awful.
I did the same, makes you wonder how you ever did it in the first place.

Theyre fucking awful things cigarettes!

Something I have found useful is the ability to remember how bad it tastes when you restart. In my opinion it takes at least 5 cigarettes to even enjoy them again and by that point you're hooked again. As many others have said, the key part is to want to stop. If you go in with any resistance you will find any excuse.

I was vaping for a while after giving up. I was smoking spliffs mind, about 5 a day, so I wasn’t heavily addicted to nicotine but it was expensive. I get absolutely pissed one day and the next I didn’t want to move let alone pick up the vape because of the hangover. Haven’t touched it since. This was since the Madrid away game.

From what I have observed from friends, family & patients cold turkey is probably the most common approach although sustained quitting remains a fraction of those who attempt to quit. NRTs & pharmacotherpaies help as does behavioral support although there are notable side effects to many meds. US Surgeon General's report on smoking cessation earlier this year effectively concluded there is not much out there currently that is making enough of a dent in improving quit rates

I actually would encourage someone interested in quitting to try these IQOS products (Heat not burn) which would still deliver nicotine but avoid the most harmful aspects of smoking due to lack of combustion. Plus, there is significant research to back up their claims of both reduced exposure & risk. E-cigs are a bit more of a mixed bag since until recently they were not regulated by authorities and safety has been a question mark (i.e. EVALI) but that too might be an avenue to consider - even UK authorities seem to subscribe to this option

Tougher still to quit or switch to something less harmful if you live with another smoker too, relapse rates remain a huge issue

Its a lot of mind over matter ( 30+ years of 20 a day ). Stopped nearly 5 years ago, woke up with a lung rattle and it scared the s**t out of me......never touched one since.
I had the craving for 3 years and the way i got thru it was to use wooden toothpicks (chewing them not lighting them) It keeps your hand/mouth busy in a way a little like a babies dummy/pacifier. Walking around with a stick in your mouth makes you look like a bit of a prat but it is so worth it, i spent about £4 on toothpicks over the 3 years and so far my lung rattle has not returned.

Its a lot of mind over matter ( 30+ years of 20 a day ). Stopped nearly 5 years ago, woke up with a lung rattle and it scared the s**t out of me......never touched one since.
I had the craving for 3 years and the way i got thru it was to use wooden toothpicks (chewing them not lighting them) It keeps your hand/mouth busy in a way a little like a babies dummy/pacifier. Walking around with a stick in your mouth makes you look like a bit of a prat but it is so worth it, i spent about £4 on toothpicks over the 3 years and so far my lung rattle has not returned.
FYI i am now toothpick free

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.