#9 | Gabriel Jesus - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Can’t compare him with others as he doesn’t start as much”.

Yeah, because he’s not fucking good enough to.

The league is full of strikers who have started a lot more games that Aguero and Jesus this season.

Jesus is competing for one place with the best the PL has seen.

If you want to compare him to the likes of Joelinton who has had many more starts, feel free ;)

But was he playing a different way? Perhaps he's playing less as a poacher, so his chances are harder? Perhaps we create more chances when he plays, so can afford it if he missed more? What if we concede less when he's spends more time in positions that are more tricky to score from?

The management team at City will have stats that are much more complex than any we can access, and will understand why his contribution is worthwhile.

"afford it if he misses more", how about he just doesn't miss so many chances?

The chances are simple enough if he's hitting the target, either he's twice as wasteful or gets into much poorer positions, with the same players around him who feed Kun chances that he takes with over twice the frequency. We can concede less and be better defensively and him still deliver the goods in front of goal, they're not mutually exclusive. We've defended fine for several years with Kun, there are far more fundamental reasons for our defensive collapse this season.

I agree they will, but when the most obvious one is staring you in the face it's right to question his levels.

For some reason, he's still highly rated in the football world, maybe it's because he's Brazilian, who knows. But because of that, I'd sell him for a decent wedge.

Never rated him, huge downgrade from aguero, dzeko, Balotelli, negredo, tevez, Adebayor, bellamy, ched Evans.....

The league is full of strikers who have started a lot more games that Aguero and Jesus this season.

If you want to compare him to the likes of Joelinton who has had many more starts, feel free ;)

The mid-range striker comparison

On target conversion rate:
Mousset - 6/9 = 66.7%
King - 5/11 = 45.6%
Calvert-Lewin - 13/34 = 38.2%
Iheanacho - 5/14 = 35.7%
Pukki - 11/34 = 32.4%
Haller - 7/25 = 28%
Wesley - 5/18 = 27.8%
Jesus - 10/40 = 25%
McBurnie - 5/22 = 22.7%
Joelinton - 2/15 = 13.3%

Overall conversion rate:
King - 5/21 = 23.8%
Iheanacho - 5/27 =18.5%
Calvert-Lewin - 13/75 = 17.3%
Mousset - 6/35 = 17.1%
Wesley - 5/35 = 14.3%
Pukki - 11/76 = 14.5%
Haller - 7/52 = 13.5%
Jesus - 10/81 = 12.4%
McBurnie - 5/45 = 11.1%
Joelinton - 2/47 = 4.3%

Shot accuracy
King - 11/21 = 52.4%
Iheanacho - 14/27 = 51.9%
Wesley - 18/35 = 51.4%
Jesus - 40/81 = 49.4%
McBurnie - 22/45 = 48.9%
Haller - 25/52 = 48.1%
Calvert-Lewin - 34/75 = 45.3%
Pukki - 34/76 = 44.7%
Joelinton - 15/47 = 31.9%
Mousset - 9/35 = 25.7%

so 4th out of 10 for hitting the target, bottom 3 for actually scoring them, and that's on the list of strikers you turn to if you're getting desperate in your fantasy football draft. You asked...

He’s unfortunately not big enough to be effective as the selfless target man who brings other into play that people deem him to be; I genuinely think we could do with one - we’ve got the best crosser of a ball in world football in KDB, a genuine aerial threat would add another dimension to our game, plus another 10 assists per season for Kev.

Calvert-Lewin’s development at Everton this season, plus his physical profile and mobility, would make him a viable replacement if we manage to extort some decent money out of an Italian club for Jesus.

Delap looks like the best striking talent in the academy since Sturridge, and already a unit, so he could be a solution medium/long term - it’d be interesting to see him given a few cameos off the bench in the last few games/preseason.

That’s great, but we’re not aspiring to be a team that’s gone 66 years without a trophy or been relegated into the championship twice in the last 10 years.

Don’t rate him. I don’t think the team trusts him either and you regularly see the disappointment on KdBs face when he fluffs a chance/is offside. He might score 20+ a year but a lot of them are against lower league opposition or teams not putting effort in be it a cup game etc. Apart from the odd few time’s he doesn’t score THAT goal that wins you the game or changes a game. When he’s through you aren’t confident he will score. He runs a lot and that’s about it. He’s had so many chances and everyone says “give him more time”, he’s had it and he’s can’t hit a cows arse with a banjo. I really don’t rate the bloke.

He is going through a sticky patch but so are others. I don’t see Bernie getting the flack this boy does but he hasn’t set the heather on fire either. Gabby is an easy target because of his position and because he is in the shadow of the greatest Striker the PL has seen. He will get through this.

That’s great, but we’re not aspiring to be a team that’s gone 66 years without a trophy or been relegated into the championship twice in the last 10 years.

No - we're the most successful team in the PL since Jesus arrived. It's not because of him, more than anyone else, but our results don't dip when he plays - and this season our results have been better when he plays. He's been involved in 29 goals this season and that's comparable with Mane and De Bruyne - the favourites for player of the season.

It would be great if his conversion rate was better, but if it was comparable to Calvert-Lewin or Iheanacho and he'd played a similar number of games to Mane, then he'd be approaching 50 goals+assists for the season, and would be considered the best player in the league by some distance.

I can see we're going to disagree, but I really don't understand why he's singled out for abuse in a season when he's only played half the games and still contributed to 29 goals.

No - we're the most successful team in the PL since Jesus arrived. It's not because of him, more than anyone else, but our results don't dip when he plays - and this season our results have been better when he plays. He's been involved in 29 goals this season and that's comparable with Mane and De Bruyne - the favourites for player of the season.

It would be great if his conversion rate was better, but if it was comparable to Calvert-Lewin or Iheanacho and he'd played a similar number of games to Mane, then he'd be approaching 50 goals+assists for the season, and would be considered the best player in the league by some distance.

I can see we're going to disagree, but I really don't understand why he's singled out for abuse in a season when he's only played half the games and still contributed to 29 goals.

where've you got 29 from? 10 goals and 5 assists, if you counting passes before that then everyone in the squad has contributed to most of our goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.