COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scary things happen, the numbers will go through the roof again in 10 to 14 days.

yeah i mean they absolutely could, but then this must be the 5th or 6th major thing to potentially cause a huge second wave and none of the previous ones did...just have to carry on being mildly sensible and wait and see

Sounds incredibly callous saying this, but 'hopefully' it's less likely as more people have had it here. There's surely less people for it to burn through.

I don't know. Not based on anything, but despite the higher numbers here something tells me it won't be near high enough to make that sort of difference.

I know that comes across as a negative viewpoint, but the examples there make me lose that bit of hope.

I don't know. Not based on anything, but despite the higher numbers here something tells me it won't be near high enough to make that sort of difference.

I know that comes across as a negative viewpoint, but the examples there make me lose that bit of hope.

I think it'll have a bit of an impact. Just logic really. We were notably badly hit compared to some places and that must count for something. I personally do believe more people have been exposed to it than we realise. I've read and watched an awful lot of contrarian opinions on both sides and the one thing they all seem to agree on, on both the more optimistic or negative side, is that there is simply loads we don't know yet about immunity. No one really has a clue. There are an awful lot of exceptionally intelligent people though, literal professors at Oxford for example, who believe more have had it than antibody tests would suggest. These people are no less intelligent than the ones who share a more cautious view. Even those who are cautious wouldn't categorically say they're wrong either.

There are far too many stories about someone being extremely ill in one household, but for whatever reason their partner or family picks up absolutely nothing. They either don't get it or they do or they're asymptomatic. It simply doesn't add up. It's certainly not because they're locking their spouse in another room and staying away. It's a loved one's instinct to look after a sick partner or child. We know they looked after them. I would have. Or what of those elderly who have been absolutely surrounded by it in care homes, with comorbidities too, but still haven't gotten it? There has to be a part of the picture we're missing. Why are some people who are in such high contact with sick people experiencing no symptoms at all? I'm pretty convinced there is an element of immunity based on something we don't fully know yet. Could be it that the virus isn't quite as novel as they say it is? It does share something in common with many others for example? Could it be as simple as other vaccines for other viruses offer partial immunity? Could be it as simple as blood types? Or Vitamin D deficiency?

Whatever it is, I'm personally convinced that the idea that this is a truly novel virus and everyone will react to it in an identical way is just not correct. It clearly affects other differently, and we don't know why yet, or how many that is. I'm increasingly of the belief that many people have had it but we just don't know yet. I reckon doctors are significantly better at treating it now than compared to back in March. Your chances of surviving an infection now are vastly higher. They understand the virus so much better. They're not shocked by the blood clots now, they're not treating it just like a respiratory infection, they've got better therapeutics. PPE will finally be better for doctors, patients are getting into hospital earlier because we've dealt with that initial shock to the system.

Now, I'm not for one second saying abandon caution, cos I'm still incredibly unsure about going near my family etc. This is clearly a horrible, nasty virus - I think caution is always the best route to take, but I also feel there are far too many stories that simply don't add up, which imply a much bigger picture. I also think the prognosis is better now if you catch this. It's awful what we had to go through as a society to get to this point, but we're here anyway. I'm just glad we are now. Once again, I'm not downplaying this at all, just trying to see things from every possible angle. It's very tempting to hone in on the scarier stories, and I did an awful lot of that a couple of months ago, but i've tried recently to keep a much more open mind and I read all viewpoints, as long as they're from an intelligent, credible source. I'm not saying you don't do that of course, but just trying to explain my view and why I think there is a bit of hope.

It can be really consuming this, but life will go on. It's scary, and there may be some shite times ahead, but we will beat this. We've got good doctors, improving every single day, there is an unlimited amount of money being thrown at geniuses to solve this, and the measures, though slowly, are working. Importantly, infections and deaths are still going down. That's the key. There are signs for encouragement, and enough very plausible questions that suggest things might be a bit better than we hoped. Possibly not, but there's no harm in grabbing onto some positive signs, while also remaining cautious.

Boris has been really shit with his comments about care home staff. To try and put the blame on them when his government caused this shitshow makes me want to punch him nevermind voting against him. What a fucker
Disagree. He was refering to the care home companies themselves - and they DO have a lot to answer for.
When everyone became aware of the issues in care homes at the start of May 38% of English care homes had Covid-19 cases. Since then it has risen to 58% and the average care home with one infection has had 20% of it's residents become ill.
Here's stats on the numbers last week.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...eaths-rate-england-wales-latest-a9599426.html
What the fuck have care homes been doing? Or should I say, not been doing from May to July? Regular tests were offered to all staff and residents by PHE.
Small privately run homes seem to have avoided the carnage for the most part with Covid-19 cases limited/isolated when they occurred.
It seems to me that the big providers just welcomed Covid-19 in and spread it around. A bit like the Death Race 2000 hospital day.
So yes they do have a lot to answer for.

Last edited:
Scotland 1 death and 2 new cases.

Last week it was 3 deaths and 10 new cases.

For a 'catch up' day that seems to show Scotland really has the virus all but eliminated.

These are the kind of figures only Northern Ireland was producing a few weeks ago. Scotland has 3 times the population.

Hospital data 4102 now sent home. 699 in hospital (+17 but - 8 in confirmed cases) ICU 7 (-1 from yesterday)

Travel restrictions in Dumfries and Galloway removed as that outbreak has been sealed off. No new cases.

I think it'll have a bit of an impact. Just logic really. We were notably badly hit compared to some places and that must count for something. I personally do believe more people have been exposed to it than we realise. I've read and watched an awful lot of contrarian opinions on both sides and the one thing they all seem to agree on, on both the more optimistic or negative side, is that there is simply loads we don't know yet about immunity. No one really has a clue. There are an awful lot of exceptionally intelligent people though, literal professors at Oxford for example, who believe more have had it than antibody tests would suggest. These people are no less intelligent than the ones who share a more cautious view. Even those who are cautious wouldn't categorically say they're wrong either.

There are far too many stories about someone being extremely ill in one household, but for whatever reason their partner or family picks up absolutely nothing. They either don't get it or they do or they're asymptomatic. It simply doesn't add up. It's certainly not because they're locking their spouse in another room and staying away. It's a loved one's instinct to look after a sick partner or child. We know they looked after them. I would have. Or what of those elderly who have been absolutely surrounded by it in care homes, with comorbidities too, but still haven't gotten it? There has to be a part of the picture we're missing. Why are some people who are in such high contact with sick people experiencing no symptoms at all? I'm pretty convinced there is an element of immunity based on something we don't fully know yet. Could be it that the virus isn't quite as novel as they say it is? It does share something in common with many others for example? Could it be as simple as other vaccines for other viruses offer partial immunity? Could be it as simple as blood types? Or Vitamin D deficiency?

Whatever it is, I'm personally convinced that the idea that this is a truly novel virus and everyone will react to it in an identical way is just not correct. It clearly affects other differently, and we don't know why yet, or how many that is. I'm increasingly of the belief that many people have had it but we just don't know yet. I reckon doctors are significantly better at treating it now than compared to back in March. Your chances of surviving an infection now are vastly higher. They understand the virus so much better. They're not shocked by the blood clots now, they're not treating it just like a respiratory infection, they've got better therapeutics. PPE will finally be better for doctors, patients are getting into hospital earlier because we've dealt with that initial shock to the system.

Now, I'm not for one second saying abandon caution, cos I'm still incredibly unsure about going near my family etc. This is clearly a horrible, nasty virus - I think caution is always the best route to take, but I also feel there are far too many stories that simply don't add up, which imply a much bigger picture. I also think the prognosis is better now if you catch this. It's awful what we had to go through as a society to get to this point, but we're here anyway. I'm just glad we are now. Once again, I'm not downplaying this at all, just trying to see things from every possible angle. It's very tempting to hone in on the scarier stories, and I did an awful lot of that a couple of months ago, but i've tried recently to keep a much more open mind and I read all viewpoints, as long as they're from an intelligent, credible source. I'm not saying you don't do that of course, but just trying to explain my view and why I think there is a bit of hope.

It can be really consuming this, but life will go on. It's scary, and there may be some shite times ahead, but we will beat this. We've got good doctors, improving every single day, there is an unlimited amount of money being thrown at geniuses to solve this, and the measures, though slowly, are working. Importantly, infections and deaths are still going down. That's the key. There are signs for encouragement, and enough very plausible questions that suggest things might be a bit better than we hoped. Possibly not, but there's no harm in grabbing onto some positive signs, while also remaining cautious.
That’s a fantastic post mate, and sums up my thoughts exactly. Funny that from opposite ends of opinion we’ve now ended up somewhere in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.