Current trend: Co-commentators whining through the game

HelloCity

Does this bother anyone else?

It seems to have really picked up in the last 5 years or so where the co-commentator will sit tutting and moaning throughout an entire game either because the team he likes are losing, the team he doesn’t like are winning or the team playing the team he doesn’t like are playing shit. The likes of McManaman, Hoddle, Neville and Carragher are absolutely horrendous for this.

I know he ended up being a bit of a nob head outside of the football but someone like Andy Gray was always enthusiastic and rarely, if ever, showed his allegiances during commentary. He’d be just as excited watching a game between Norwich & Coventry as he would be a big derby game.

The trend has made me not enjoy watching football on the TV as much as I used to and half the time I’m thinking STFU as soon as they open their mouths.

It seems to have really picked up in the last 5 years or so where the co-commentator will sit tutting and moaning throughout an entire game either because the team he likes are losing, the team he doesn’t like are winning or the team playing the team he doesn’t like are playing shit. The likes of McManaman, Hoddle, Neville and Carragher are absolutely horrendous for this.

I know he ended up being a bit of a nob head outside of the football but someone like Andy Gray was always enthusiastic and rarely, if ever, showed his allegiances during commentary. He’d be just as excited watching a game between Norwich & Coventry as he would be a big derby game.

The trend has made me not enjoy watching football on the TV as much as I used to and half the time I’m thinking STFU as soon as they open their mouths.
I found watching it on the Arabic channel bein is quite good. Even though I don't understand any of it, their enthusiasm for the game is contagious. I avoid like the plague Tyler and his cohorts.

I reckon McManaman is by far the worst for this, his nasal Scouse accent doesn't help but he utters some fairly obvious comment and then repeats the sentence three times in the next 30 seconds as if we're all deaf!

I think it’s time all TV companies gave us the option to ditch the commentary, like Amazon did when they had the footy.

There’s far too much bias for it to be an enjoyable accompaniment to the game.

There’s also too much negativity all round from commentators and pundits. There’s not enough recognition of good play and too much recognition for poor play. A balance is fine; talking with fair assessments of the good and bad points of play or players is healthy... hanging players and managers out to dry (which happens a lot) is not; picking clubs they don’t like and using constant negative language and tone is a disgrace!

This obsession TV companies have with getting “star” ex-players in as career pundits brings next to no insight from 95% of them. Players may well have played the game, but it doesn’t mean they know the game.

Managers are always better pundits than ex-players. Always!

Even when relatively non-successful coaches like Alan Pardew (I say relatively because being a Prem ref is successful to be fair) have been on as pundits, they provide infinitely more insight into the tactics, technicalities and intricacies of the game than ex-players do. Without fail! Many of the ex-player pundits surprise you that they ever played the game with how little they understand of it.

Also, many ex-players are far too unintelligent. Nobody should be allowed on tele who doesn’t know that adjectives end in “ly” and that “done” is the incorrect past tense where they should be using “did” (and many many many many more).

“He done brilliant there”... FUCK OFF!

It allows a lack of intelligence to be acceptable in society. It pushes the myth that’s prevalent in many areas that being a thick **** is cool and being clever and speaking properly is not cool.

Most people who aren’t ex-footballers or rock stars won’t even get through job interviews in the real world when they speak like this. So that acceptance of thick as fuck language hinders society as a whole.

I really don’t mind a very strong accent. But someone can have the strongest example of an accent you’ve ever heard but still understand and use the correct words and grammar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Alan Green on Radio 5 was the first person I noticed doing this. He'd huff and puff or tut if the game was less than exciting instead of doing his job and selling the game to us..... and if his beloved Liverpool were playing poorly he'd sulk for the rest of the game, I heard Jimmy Armfield RIP (the co-commentator) a couple of times having to tell him to buck up.

Years ago they had a commentator and that was that now they have upto 4 people talking about the in live game.

Remember sane scored one of the best goals ever in premier and through all that play Neville and Tyler was talking about some other shit till the ball went in the net.

I think it’s time all TV companies gave us the option to ditch the commentary, like Amazon did when they had the footy.

There’s far too much bias for it to be an enjoyable accompaniment to the game.

There’s also too much negativity all round from commentators and pundits. There’s not enough recognition of good play and too much recognition for poor play. A balance is fine; talking with fair assessments of the good and bad points of play or players is healthy... hanging players and managers out to dry (which happens a lot) is not; picking clubs they don’t like and using constant negative language and tone is a disgrace!

This obsession TV companies have with getting “star” ex-players in as career pundits brings next to no insight from 95% of them. Players may well have played the game, but it doesn’t mean they know the game.

Managers are always better pundits than ex-players. Always!

Even when relatively non-successful coaches like Alan Pardew (I say relatively because being a Prem ref is successful to be fair) have been on as pundits, they provide infinitely more insight into the tactics, technicalities and intricacies of the game than ex-players do. Without fail! Many of the ex-player pundits surprise you that they ever played the game with how little they understand of it.

Also, many ex-players are far too unintelligent. Nobody should be allowed on tele who doesn’t know that adjectives end in “ly” and that “done” is the incorrect past tense where they should be using “did” (and many many many many more).

“He done brilliant there”... FUCK OFF!

It allows a lack of intelligence to be acceptable in society. It pushes the myth that’s prevalent in many areas that being a thick **** is cool and being clever and speaking properly is not cool.

Most people who aren’t ex-footballers or rock stars won’t even get through job interviews in the real world when they speak like this. So that acceptance of thick as fuck language hinders society as a whole.

I really don’t mind a very strong accent. But someone can have the strongest example of an accent you’ve ever heard but still understand and use the correct words and grammar.
I don't mind a strong accent myself as long as, like yourself, the correct words are being used.

I know it's a colloquialism but one of the things said that pisses me off the most is Steve Bruce with his "If we take wor chances."

The fucker spent more than half of his life living away from the North East but still says it whereas Alan Shearer has been in the area for most of his career yet never says it.

A co commentator can be great, if hes not a thick, mono syllabic ****. The problems arise when the vast majority fall into that bracket. And they do. Add in they cant bear to be impartial and you have a recipe for throwing your beer at your own telly. I found to my cost.

Yes. I know commentators are only human and blah blah but it would be nice if they weren't majority Liverpool fans. And I thought commentators were meant to be impartial.

Also Steve Bruce is so irritating with his whole 'I'm so Geordie I piss Newcastle Brown, me' shtik. Yeah, so Geordie you went and managed Sunderland.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.