Current trend: Co-commentators whining through the game

At the kick of on Sunday I went and looked for the audio options, and then thought, noooooo, I'll be betting messages from the MDC saying we've scored, and it won't have happened on me telly, so the tried and trusted mute button was called upon to add the commentary. The commentary for that game was first class. The televisuals where shite! I should have done what I did for the Dipper game - seems to be a lucky option - no sound and a blank screen!

I think it’s time all TV companies gave us the option to ditch the commentary, like Amazon did when they had the footy.

There’s far too much bias for it to be an enjoyable accompaniment to the game.

There’s also too much negativity all round from commentators and pundits. There’s not enough recognition of good play and too much recognition for poor play. A balance is fine; talking with fair assessments of the good and bad points of play or players is healthy... hanging players and managers out to dry (which happens a lot) is not; picking clubs they don’t like and using constant negative language and tone is a disgrace!

This obsession TV companies have with getting “star” ex-players in as career pundits brings next to no insight from 95% of them. Players may well have played the game, but it doesn’t mean they know the game.

Managers are always better pundits than ex-players. Always!

Even when relatively non-successful coaches like Alan Pardew (I say relatively because being a Prem ref is successful to be fair) have been on as pundits, they provide infinitely more insight into the tactics, technicalities and intricacies of the game than ex-players do. Without fail! Many of the ex-player pundits surprise you that they ever played the game with how little they understand of it.

Also, many ex-players are far too unintelligent. Nobody should be allowed on tele who doesn’t know that adjectives end in “ly” and that “done” is the incorrect past tense where they should be using “did” (and many many many many more).

“He done brilliant there”... FUCK OFF!

It allows a lack of intelligence to be acceptable in society. It pushes the myth that’s prevalent in many areas that being a thick **** is cool and being clever and speaking properly is not cool.

Most people who aren’t ex-footballers or rock stars won’t even get through job interviews in the real world when they speak like this. So that acceptance of thick as fuck language hinders society as a whole.

I really don’t mind a very strong accent. But someone can have the strongest example of an accent you’ve ever heard but still understand and use the correct words and grammar.

Well said Sir, spot on the money.

“Them chances” instead of those another bugbear.

I’m sure Danny Murphy is fond of “he done terrific there” but Shearer, Wrighty etc all have their fair share of shoddy language. Tim Sherwood is another that butchers the language/grammar with regularity. As you say it should be getting addressed So that these highly paid ‘experts’ are at least giving a good example to the youth of today.

Totally agree with the OP - we scud someone and they give us minimal credit and zone in on the negatives against the opposition, totally different if the favourites in red despatch a team. One of the worst examples this season was the excitement they mustered for the Rags putting 5 past Tranmere in the first half. You’d think they’d just pumped Brazil.

And don't forget the overly hysterical Jonathan Pearce. His constant screaming, even when something really mundane happens, makes him sound like some neurotic old spinster who has found a daddy long-legs on her shawl. This bloke seriously pisses me off.

He seems to be the go-to commentator for a lot of the women's footy - somebody must think he has a voice that fits.

I dunno why they can't just bring back fanzone, have it as an option. At least that way you get two people who actually have some allegiance and care about what is going on. I don't need an ex player to tell me "If I was in that position Martin I would have passed it" "Back when I was playing that wasn't a yellow".

Fucking grinds my gears.

As I've been learning Spanish for over a year now, can anyone recommend the best place to get commentary in Spanish?

The constant negative and biased commentary makes my blood boil.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.