COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think you are over a month out in your dating there. I posted a link in this thread to the situation in Wolfsburg care homes on April 4th, and a care home in Glasgow had already been identified as having 13 cases. Across Europe, in the weeks prior there had already been problems in care homes in France, Belgium, Germany, and the Netherlands, which were all reported in the UK media, so there was adequate warning for care homes and governments.

Good post Gabriel. I think a lot of the Countries have struggled with the virus once it has spread to the care home section and it was spreading rapidly in homes in the first half of April
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-care-homes-face-coronavirus-21860324

The UK should have defended care home residents better but it’s one thing knowing you have a problem and another challenge solving it.

Btw I watched the film Tora, Tora, Tora that focuses on USA intelligence failings in the run up to the Pearl Harbour Attack. It reminded me of the Government and SAGE getting ready for The Virus.

For second week running weekly deaths below the 5 year average in all main settings.

In England & Wales 8979 week ending 26 June - 360 below previous week.

3.4% below the 5 year average.

815 fewer deaths in hospital than 5 yr avg,

103 fewer deaths in care homes than 5 yr avg.

606 deaths mentioned Covid - just 6.7% of deaths and lowest total in the past 13 weeks.

Total UK deaths week ending was 10267 - 295 below the 5 year average. 651 mentioning Covid.

Percentage of care home deaths decreased to 20.2% of total and those citing Covid in care homes dropped to 10.5%.

Covid deaths in week ending 26 June were 63.5% in hospital, 29.7% in care homes, 4.6% at home and 1.4% in hospices.
One has to ask, will the death counters say the epidemic finished when excess deaths went -ve?

Am I correct in saying that the vast majority of care homes are run by independent companies and therefore they run it in the way they see fit. They are also responsible for their own PPE, living standards, staff etc. Can anyone confirm?

Am I correct in saying that the vast majority of care homes are run by independent companies and therefore they run it in the way they see fit. They are also responsible for their own PPE, living standards, staff etc. Can anyone confirm?

the huge majority of care beds are private, and over 90% of homes are private (for-profit and charities). They are run independently yes but are still governed and inspected by the CQC. Do not be tempted to say independent/private = bad, but also there are terrible problems with underpaid and/or unqualified staff, neglect and abuse and terrible costs/profiteering. Dunno about the PPE sorry

yes something like 85% are private companies getting money from the public sector to look after.

A lot are huge groups owned by private equity companies keen to cash in on the recurring income that care homes give them.

They love it getting the money when times are good . Any profits are realisations are trousered by the private sector and private equity investors.

along comes a pandemic...

it’s up to the government to provide PPE and it’s all the governments fault. We need support .

The local council tendered out the care services in our area, they maintain the standards for the company I work for to a degree but wholly it is the govn Care Quality Commission.

PPE supplies are a different thing. My company has links with the NHS so they get PPE from same suppliers. That isnt the issue though. the issue is our govn lack of action in the beginning. In fact seeling our PPE to other countries was a majopr fuck up, but yes blame the care providers.

Where I worked we had shoe protectors and aprons. No gloves, handsan, visors, we had homemade masks. People I know died, clients were being sent home from hospital making the siutation even worse! Then they have the gall to blame the ones providing the care in the face of a total govn screw up! No fkin supplies was the problem, from PPE to testing, the govn say one thing in the hope people will belive them but the actual truth is somewhat different

Last edited:
First day of beer gardens opening up here and some of Glasgows finest showing the way regarding socially distanced punch ups.

I hear someone called someone else's pint a poof.

More info as it emerges.

Got 3 'locals' in my area and all of 'em shut early on Saturday due to fighting. Mass brawl in the road at one, gang of nutters at another and a posh scrap at the pizza and sports bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.