Expected Goals - useful or a load of old nonsense?

I remember Michael Cox backing us to win the league this season on a podcast as Liverpool apparently had a much lower 'expected goal' average compared to us last season lol.
To be fair, they have a much lower actual goal total too.

But yeah, expected goals sounds more like something an illegal betting syndicate (or FIFA) would talk about.

In isolation it's not the most applicable (due to errors and specific circumstances), but over a period of time such as a season it's very useful.

Vialli98 that is an interesting post. Was Kepa any better last year? - I think everybody was shocked by his behaviour in the final against us - did that lead to a decline?

Kepa's save % was better last season. He was bang average mind you, but still it was better than this season. He's not doing anything noticeably different this season, but for some reason while Chelsea's xGC has improved this season, his save % has worsened. That's both quite puzzling and a big indictment on Kepa.

If Chelsea as a team are allowing less quality shots on goal or possession in dangerous areas than last season, yet Kepa still somehow manages to have a worse save % this season than last season, then for me it's crystal clear where the problem lies, and it's not the back 4.

Have to admit I find all the expected goals, goals conceded data really interesting.
If nothing more it gives me some "evidence" to throw at Liverpool supporting mates that they've hugely over achieved this season and last season (using the data given from understat.com).

However I feel the accuracy of this data is not quite there yet. If it was 100% accurate then over an infinite number of games actual goals = expected goals, and same for conceded goals. I don't think this would be the case with the current system.
It makes me question the extent Liverpool have over performed, and ourselves under performed. Is it really realistic that they can over perform like they have for 2 seasons running, or is the accuracy of the xG data in question?
I know my own opinion on this based on what I have seen, rather than the data, but I do like to back this up with good accurate stats

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.