Joan of Arc, greatest woman warrior ever?

It was mentioned on a BBC4 Celts doc by Professor Alice Roberts. This was some time ago tbf but she claimed there was no particularly strong evidence to suggest she was indeed live. This is a little explanation on that (but that's not to conclude she was a fabrication more a bit of balance on her story).

https://vridar.org/2018/05/07/doing-history-how-do-we-know-queen-boadicea-boudicca-existed/

Did you read down to portion where AR states "So there seems no reason to doubt the existence of a powerful female Celtic hero"? Though Boudicca was possibly embellished over time much as is the case with many war leaders.

As for Tacitus being a young boy during the life of Boudiccs, that is true. However, his father-in-law was a Roman governor in Britannia after the rebellion. Rhis would, likely, be where Tacitus got his information of the warrior queen and the rebellion.

Can't recall where I read it but I remember reading that Romsn historians, such as Tacitus and Cassius Dio, were not in the habit of making up bogeymen(women) enemies for the Empire to battle in their histories.

No historical record of her leading a battle with a banner...although she was wounded by a crossbow bolt whilst in a trench. As with most historical figures I'd take anything written down with a pinch of salt. Usually written after the events by religious types with agendas.

It's all very strange though, she was a 16 year old peasant girl who heard voices attributed to God and Charles just gave her an army? Maybe he was desperate. Or in love.

If you are in a trench I would think it is is pretty hard to get shot by a crossbow bolt. Was it her own side that did it ? A case of 'FFS woman shut up about this god that has spoken to you, be a good girl and go and make a brew'

Just askin'

Joan of Arc/Jeanne d'Arc is a curious case. In a book by M. Baigent, R. Leigh, and H. Lincoln, The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, the detail Jeanne's story. In 1429 she "appeared at the fortress of "Vaucouleurs" announcing her "divine mission" to save France. This mission was to help the dauphin become the King of France and drive out the English.

Jeanne asked to see the Duke of Lorraine. She asked the Duke for "Your son (in-law), a horse and some good men to take me into France." The Duke's son in law was Rene d'Anjou (you may know his daughter Marguerite, who married Henry VI and factored into the War of the Roses).

Writers at the time show Rene going with Jeanne and that he was with her at the seige of Orleans. Rene's mother, Iolande, was at Chinon with the dauphin and was something of an adviser to him. Iolande became Jeanne's patron and helped convince the court to support her and her vision and let her go with the army to Orleans. Iolande convinced the dauphin (from what I've read, a weak character) that Jeanne was a savior. Iolande also convinced the dauphin to marry her daughter. Rene d'Anjou was Iolande's son.

The authors of the book contend the story of Jeanne d'Arc was theater and much more was happening behind the scenes and that Jeanne was a "put-up-job". People using legends of a "virgin from Lorraine" and Jeanne's mission for their own purposes.

That she was captured and executed certainly could have only helped those powers behind the scenes. The loose end was tied up quite nicely.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.